Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Foul smell

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
boat36forfun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 carver mariner 36

Foul smell

Postby boat36forfun » May 11th, 2020, 11:11 am

My 1985 36' Mariner has a foul order coming from around the forward air conditioner. In the same are is the vent running under the forward sink to the outside which I believe is the vent for the holding tank. The holding tank is clean and clear right now as we have just had the boat opened up a couple weeks ago.The order seems to come and go a bit but stumped on where its coming from and just how to get rid of it. Please help.

Tom P.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Foul smell

Postby Tireless » May 11th, 2020, 11:26 am

Check for stagnant water in the bilge or in the A/C tray. If its not from your holding tank, it could be permeating through the waist lines that run from your head to tank, vacuum pump, even your waist tank vent lines. If these are the original, that could be the issue. May also be time to flush out the bilge with a cleaner, as there may be areas holding water that you can't see.

There are many variables, so I recommend that you get right in there and sniff around. You may need to provide more details so folks on forum may help you. What's in the area where the odour seems to be coming from.

Greg

boat36forfun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby boat36forfun » May 11th, 2020, 11:48 am

Good points Greg. I smell it coming from the vent under the bed which is for the air conditioner and also under the sink in the bedroom which has the vent from the holding tank. Next time down I will climb under there and investigate a little closer.

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Postby tgebler » May 11th, 2020, 12:12 pm

I had this problem last year in my 396 AC and discovered the pump in the sump for the aft shower was not operating. It was foul in the sump but once I cleaned it out and replaced the pump, no more smell.

boat36forfun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby boat36forfun » May 11th, 2020, 2:36 pm

There is a bit of standing water that only gets taken out thru the bilge when the boat is moving. Will have to dig a little deeper. Thanks for your thoughts.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » May 12th, 2020, 9:09 am

Keep us posted and let us know when you find the source of the problem. A learning experience for all of us.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 12th, 2020, 9:53 am

boat36forfun wrote:Source of the post My 1985 36' Mariner has a foul order coming from around the forward air conditioner. In the same are is the vent running under the forward sink to the outside which I believe is the vent for the holding tank. The holding tank is clean and clear right now as we have just had the boat opened up a couple weeks ago.The order seems to come and go a bit but stumped on where its coming from and just how to get rid of it. Please help.

Tom P.

Considering it just came out of storage...have a look for critters and old nests......The drain pan under the ac and any of the shower sumps can really stink from mold even from a distance away, due to the air movement in the bilge.

Check your holding tank lines using the warm damp rag method.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”