Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hardcover or not? 57 Used Carver Purchase Decision

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
BoatGal2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Hardcover or not? 57 Used Carver Purchase Decision

Postby BoatGal2020 » May 13th, 2020, 10:17 am

Hi All!

I'm new to this forum and am in the process of purchasing a used Carver 57 Voyager. I've narrowed down my search to three different boats. One of them has a hardtop, but it doesn't have as many options as the other two that have a bimini top. All three have full flybridge enclosures. What's your opinion on hardtops? Is it worth buying the boat that has one and know I may have to put in money down the road for things the hardtop boat doesn't have such as updated electronics, a water maker and some other perks?

Thanks for any advice!

BoatGal :-P

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Re: Hardcover or not? 57 Used Carver Purchase Decision

Postby chpsk8 » May 13th, 2020, 1:33 pm

I think it's a math problem right?
What's the value of a hardtop to you and even the potential resale value.

What options are missing that you actually would want or use that you would need to buy?
Do you want a hardtop?
If you bought the one without the hardtop, would you add it later... and at what cost?

Electronics are something that you redo every so many years anyways, so that expense will be out there in the future.
Watermakers are nice...expensive.. but do you need it?

Just some thoughts

BoatGal2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby BoatGal2020 » May 13th, 2020, 3:27 pm

chpsk8 wrote:Source of the post I think it's a math problem right?
What's the value of a hardtop to you and even the potential resale value.

What options are missing that you actually would want or use that you would need to buy?
Do you want a hardtop?
If you bought the one without the hardtop, would you add it later... and at what cost?

Electronics are something that you redo every so many years anyways, so that expense will be out there in the future.
Watermakers are nice...expensive.. but do you need it?

Just some thoughts

Thanks! Very good point on the electronics and the actual use of a watermaker. This will be my first boat, so I'm mainly trying to figure out how much better the hardtop is and how desirable. Will it increase the future sale value, or are people just as happy with a bimini? The hardtop allows for AC in the flybridge, but is that something anyone would actually use? Sorry for novice questions, but I really don't have much experience to draw from.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » May 13th, 2020, 4:07 pm

My 356 had a canvass top and my current 44 CMY came with a hardtop with skylight. I prefer the hardtop having had both, but there are pros and cons to both. You can't open up a hardtop like you can canvass, but then again the hardtop is solid and doesn't leak.

If my boat did not have a hardtop, I don't think I would spend the $30,000 to have one made and installed.

I also think you have to decide what's important to you. Newer electronics are great and a must if you move aground a lot in your boat. I guess the question for me would be, are the electronics in the hardtop boat sufficient to assist with your travel and navigation. You also don't have to go with expensive MFD's as you can supplement what you have with an iPad and the Navionics software, which I have been using for years. I just purchased a new iPad Pro and it is fantastic with a 12.9 " screen.

Not sure anyone can tell you what to do. Its personal preference. I amp sure there are others factors involved in your decision other than the electronic and hardtop.

Good luck with your decision and let us all know what you decide.

Greg

United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 466 Aft Cabin MY

Postby wkeith » May 13th, 2020, 4:34 pm

I have a 2004 466 MY with a canvas top, I really would like to have a hardtop. Looking at the possibilities I found Atlantic Towers in N.J. who will make one out of aluminum with lights and sky light if you want. Pricing around $15K. It looks very close to original option offered by Carver. I'm sure there are others out there that can make a top for your 57 Voyager

Walter

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 13th, 2020, 6:43 pm

I will say I don't have a boat that size but would opt for the hardtop with a boat like that. ....no leaks, no canvas to fool with/ waterproof/clean etc etc.
There are a few around here and they look great with the hard top and extension.The original factory look would be hard to duplicate IMO....My two cents... Quite the first boat.....good luck with your search
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » May 14th, 2020, 10:42 am

I would love a hardtop for my boat but it's an 81 and not worth it to me to purchase and get one installed.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » May 14th, 2020, 4:47 pm

The Admiral has decided our next boat will be a 50 something Voyager and it will have a hard top. :worthy: Still a few years down the road, but we also plan on living aboard when we make the switch and doing the loop is on the bucket list. :captain:
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

BoatGal2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby BoatGal2020 » May 14th, 2020, 6:55 pm

ColRon wrote:Source of the post The Admiral has decided our next boat will be a 50 something Voyager and it will have a hard top. :worthy: Still a few years down the road, but we also plan on living aboard when we make the switch and doing the loop is on the bucket list. :captain:

So you definitely see the value of the hard top. Thanks!

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm

I would LOVE the hard top!

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”