Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

WHAT a day on Shakedown cruise.

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

WHAT a day on Shakedown cruise.

Postby tonyiiiafl » June 20th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Sorry about this but have you ever heard of this what is in the photo? I got it today. Left dock and fueled up. No start at fuel dock. Dead starting battery however fired right up at slip. Switched to the house bank and off we went. So much for less than a foot and slight gusts to 20 mph. More like a full fledged gale. Made it 2/3 way to Cleveland Light and turned around after taking water over the bridge. Pulled into Kingman’s and took a mooring for the night. Put a meter on the battery and yep was at 10.35 volts. All others weee good. However it took a lot of water while others were fine. SO I started the genset and ran the charger for a bit and shut off. Checked battery and it was dropping back to 10v land pretty wuick. So I went to fire up the genset again and it spun but no start. Spark? Yes good spark. Wiring all good and finally checked the air filter and it was a tad dirty but plenty of flow. Added some combustible liquid to the intake and sane. Changed gas filter no change. Spun and no fire. Whacked the gas on/solenoid and same. Nothing. Finally pulled a plug wire and great spark and it seemed to want to fire. Plugged in other wire and she started! I put air filter in and no start. So removed filter and put housing back and fired away. Gotta love those old Koehler 6.5’s. Oh. The picture. Kinda sesnsituve and age appropriate but oh so true in this case. Feel free to edit and remove but we have all been there. Today was my turn.
69A6193D-654C-440B-ABBD-B37AB7A88065.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: WHAT a day on Shakedown cruise.

Postby Viper » June 20th, 2020, 9:21 pm

And of course if you called a technician over, everything would work just fine when he first tries it. Oh you just gotta love boats sometimes :confused:

The saying is so true. Everything starts off seemingly well though we know there's likely a hidden gremlin lurking around just waiting to rear it's ugly head, then suddenly out of nowhere without warning, it's the perfect storm. All we can do to minimize these occurrences (notice I said minimize and not eliminate) is to stay on top of maintaining our hardware in hopes of preventing our heads from exploding.

At the end of the day, if you can make it back to safe harbour, put your feet up and have a cold one, life is good :beergood:

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » June 21st, 2020, 1:59 am

I am planning my shakedown cruise for next weekend. Just a short trip up the Detroit River to William G. Millikin State Park in Detroit. Will give me a chance to make sure all is well. I haven't spent much time with the boat as I have been playing with my jetski.

I hope my shakedown goes a bit better than yours did. Hope you solve the problems.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » June 22nd, 2020, 6:40 pm

Yep! Had the shake down cruise for 2-3 hours on the lake since all the locks are still closed here in NY, all seemed fine. Last Sunday morning fired her up to pump off, leaving the pump off noticed steam on the starboard exhaust, back at the dock smelled something hot and temp up 40 degrees from normal. Monday pulled the starboard raw water pump and bingo, all 12 impeller fins gone! New impeller installed and back flushed system till all 12 fins found. Went home and thought, Hmm! when did I change them impellers? Tuesday went back to the boat pulled the records book and low and behold changed them impellers 3 years ago to the month.
Pulled the port raw water pump, which seemed fine at the exhaust port and low and behold 7 of the fins on this impeller were missing! Repeated the process again till all pieces found all is good now.
The morrow of this story for me is check my records more often and replace these impellers sooner in the future, back flushing not a lot of fun. Also changed out the cooler anodes with magnesium ones since they were worn out two!
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

United States of America
Steve2020
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2006 41 CMY

Postby Steve2020 » November 26th, 2020, 7:58 am

Thank for the info new owner here I was getting different opinion on how long the impellers were good for. After your story I will be changing every spring. A lot easier when done as maintenance compared to repair.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”