Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Trailer a 3067 Santego??

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Trailer a 3067 Santego??

Postby Craig_B » June 25th, 2020, 11:37 am

Had a goofy thought today.
Is it possible and if so what would be needed to trailer an 88 Santego?
Type/size of trailer and what would you poull it with?

Thanks

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Re: Trailer a 3067 Santego??

Postby ColRon » June 25th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Trailering your Santego is possible , but not practical. Your average pickup is not going to be enough to safely pull it. The 3067 is actually 34 feet in length over all. When we bought Moody Blue, our previous Santego, it was on old hickory lake in Nashville. I was quoted a price of $3000 to move it by truck 100 miles north to KY Lake/TN River. I made the 200 plus mile trip by water for half the cost And had an enjoyable trip doing it. Just don’t get in a rush. It’s all about the trip and not the destination.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

Topic author Canada
Craig_B
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 3067

Postby Craig_B » June 25th, 2020, 1:19 pm

I agree with you 100% about taking the time and enjoy the trip.
Thanks for the tip about needing a bigger than average truck to do the pulling.

My dilemma is this.......

My wife and I sold our house with the intention of bringing the boat down from Canada through the Erie Canal to Florida then to the Bahamas. No rush no worries but then the "Apocalypse" happened.

Now stuck in Canada with nowhere to live as of November. Not sure if the borders will open in time to make the trip through the canal system before they close for the season :(

Running all kinds of scenarios through my head and its starting to hurt, lol.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » June 25th, 2020, 1:41 pm

I’m so sorry Craig, I got youR post confused with Hoover33. I thought it was him asking about trailering from Knoxville Tn to Guntersville AL.

In your situation, you’re talking hundreds of miles. But it won’t be cheap, but may be your only solution to move yours. You might be under the 13’6”” height limit, but you will definitely be over the 102” width limit, so over width permits will be required.

I have seen 3067’s on trailers, but again with the weight, I wouldn’t want to pull one with a regular pickup. I serious doubt that a one ton pickup would have enough to do it safely, with “safely“ being the key word, especially on that long of a move. Professional movers aren’t cheap, plus in your situation you also have a border crossing to deal with, which will be just another added headache.

On an added note, if you move her by water under her own power, you will have completed half of the loop. If you do and come down via the Illinois, Mississippi and TN rivers. I’m on your way down so give a holler and stop for a visit!
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
Flott
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 30 Carver Sedan

Postby Flott » November 29th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Hi Craig
My post is so late I'm not sure if you will even see it or not but I thought I would give it a shot because I've got direct experience with this. I have a similar size Carver and It definitely can be trailered. A number of years ago I hired a service to trailer it from Michigan down to Sarasota Florida. I had purchased my own triple axle aluminum trailer and the person towed it with a slightly "performance enhanced" (So he claimed) 1 ton Chevy Dooley diesel pickup. He got all the proper over wide permits for each state and had proper insurance overall (Very important). I met him in Michigan when he picked up the boat and he called me three or four days later when he delivered it to a marina in Florida. I had the marina in Florida look it over and all was good.
Good luck!

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”