Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo vs Cummins, and other 530 Voyager stuff

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author Canada
HorizonView
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Volvo vs Cummins, and other 530 Voyager stuff

Postby HorizonView » July 3rd, 2020, 1:28 am

Hello folks, I’ve searched through and read a lot of forum posts, but I want to get a bit more specific on a couple of questions. We are thinking of upsizing a few feet and doing some cruising in the Bahamas in the winter months. We currently have a 40 footer which is great, but just want a little more room if it’s going to be the winter condo. We like the pilot house style, so in the 50 foot range with a maximum boat per dollar analysis, there are a few choices - the 530 Voyager, the Bayliner 52’s, and the Navigator. We don’t need to get into the ‘offshore’ discussion, because as far as I’m concerned, the Bahamas is coastal cruising if you are minding your weather windows. I’ve crossed the Gulf Stream from FL to Nassau 6 times, sometimes we’ve waited 2 weeks for the right window, but we’re patient.

Anyway, there seem to be many 530’s for sale, with huge price variances and states of repair. Of course according to the brokers commentary they are all ‘ready to go’ LOL. Sorry, don’t mean to be cynical in my old age! I was hoping those of you with Voyagers or other larger Carvers wouldn’t mind chiming in and mentioning the goods and bads and things I should watch for. I have always had Cummins, but it seems the 2000+ 530’s usually have the Volvo options. I don’t seem to hear good rumours about Volvo, but in real life they are just a diesel, any major issues any of you have had with the TAMD75’s?

If you want to pass on any info about the 530’s on Yachtworld, please shoot me a PM. We’re looking anywhere on the east coast, or eastern 1/3 of the US as long as there is salt water access.

Look forward to chatting! Fair winds and following seas,
Mark

Currently boating in the PacNW, but need more winter warmth!

United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 466 Aft Cabin MY

Re: Volvo vs Cummins, and other 530 Voyager stuff

Postby wkeith » July 4th, 2020, 11:28 am

Hi Mark,
I bought my 2004 466 Aft Cabin MY in April with the Volvo 480 hp TAMD75's with 560 hours total time. Purchased in Destin, FL I brought her back to Nashville a little over 800 miles. The engines performed perfectly. I averaged running 1950 RPM's getting a little better than 1/2 mile a gallon going uphill most of the way.
About 90 miles above Nashville on the Cumberland River I lost forward in the starboard transmission and limped her in on one engine the rest of the way. My mechanic determined that the ZF transmission needed a new forward clutch pack. Upon closer inspection it was discovered that the transmission had been rebuilt before, so I opted to replace with a new one. OUCH!
Good luck on your search!
Walter Keith
MY Very Bullish II

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » July 7th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Hi Mark,

We are quite happy with our 530. She's a 99 model with the TAMD 122 P-B motors. New props last year and now I top out at 27 kts and cruise between 18.5 and 21 kts. 1,800 RPM gives me 18.5 kts and .51 MPG while 1,900 RPM gives me 21 kts and .47 MPG. For trawler speed, I do 1,000 RPM and get 8.5 kts and 1 MPG.

Very comfortable and roomy. I have a hard top and enclosure, makes for a lot of windage. She's a handful in my tight marina if the wind is over 15 kts.

My favorite feature is the large master. If I could change one thing, I would like to be able to see out of the pilot house windows without having to sit down.

Feel free to ask any specific questions about the 530. Happy to answer if I can. I've owned her since 2011.

Dave.

United States of America
Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carpe Diem » September 27th, 2020, 9:17 pm

Alaska 530 Voyager wrote:Source of the post Hi Mark,

We are quite happy with our 530. She's a 99 model with the TAMD 122 P-B motors. New props last year and now I top out at 27 kts and cruise between 18.5 and 21 kts. 1,800 RPM gives me 18.5 kts and .51 MPG while 1,900 RPM gives me 21 kts and .47 MPG. For trawler speed, I do 1,000 RPM and get 8.5 kts and 1 MPG.

Very comfortable and roomy. I have a hard top and enclosure, makes for a lot of windage. She's a handful in my tight marina if the wind is over 15 kts.

My favorite feature is the large master. If I could change one thing, I would like to be able to see out of the pilot house windows without having to sit down.

Feel free to ask any specific questions about the 530. Happy to answer if I can. I've owned her since 2011.

Dave.

We are looking for a 99 or 2000 53, I am comfortable with owning and maintaining the Cummins in my Searay and would like to find one with the 450s. That said I've seen them with the Volvo TAMD 122 610 HP engines. How smooth running are the big engines for you? I spoke with a fellow wit the TAMD 75s and he claims that they are quite quiet and smooth and said he sea trialed a boat with the big engines and his take away way that they seemed to really excessively vibrate the boat. Any thoughts on that observation?

United States of America
Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carpe Diem » September 27th, 2020, 9:27 pm

So on the topic of other 530 stuff, I have seen a few 530and 570 voyagers with pretty large swim platforms. They seem to be some what modular. Has any one ever changed a large plat form out for a smaller one? I could probably fit a 57 in my slip if it did not have such a deep platform. Thanks

United States of America
Alaska 530 Voyager
First Mate
First Mate

Postby Alaska 530 Voyager » October 2nd, 2020, 12:05 am

While I haven't been in a 530 with the 450 Cummins, I can say I've never thought of my big Volvos as noisy. The noise is a non-issue for me. My 530 runs smooth as silk at all speeds. I'd say the only vibration is at low idle for the first 3 minutes or so after cold starting. I hear some cabinet doors vibrating hear and there. I kick them up to 800 after a few minutes until warm. They idle smoothly once warm. I really don't think you will be unhappy with either power package.

United States of America
mjmason1
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver Voyager 530

Postby mjmason1 » October 14th, 2020, 8:56 am

I don't know if you've found your boat yet, but, we live on our 450. It's comfortable and roomy enough that we are still happily married. The Voyagers are heavy boats and maneuver well. I have the 450 cummins and they seem fine. I would suggest to try and find one with a bow thruster. Most days it's fine, but on that windy day I wish I had a thruster. The other down side of the Voyager is poor vision lines backing into a slip.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”