Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 404 / 396 ease of maintenance

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Carver 404 / 396 ease of maintenance

Postby tomschauer » October 27th, 2020, 8:26 am

My stairs do lift out for access to the starboard trans.

Topic author Canada
MSC
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Shopping for a Carver 405 or 406

Postby MSC » October 27th, 2020, 8:29 am

Thanks tomschauer, for the details on the 355/356. They have the same engine room as the 404 which I really like, but I do not think that I would want to try getting around the two diesel engines in those two models. I have noticed that the location of the generator must make life even more difficult.

Removing a heat exchanger to change a pump impeller will be starting to test my patience level, I think.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » October 27th, 2020, 8:50 am

MSC wrote:Source of the post Thanks tomschauer, for the details on the 355/356. They have the same engine room as the 404 which I really like, but I do not think that I would want to try getting around the two diesel engines in those two models. I have noticed that the location of the generator must make life even more difficult.

Removing a heat exchanger to change a pump impeller will be starting to test my patience level, I think.

Yes, a big, burly mechanic won't be able to squeeze into the engine room forward of the starboard engine, but someone a little smaller can. During our survey, we had to have the starboard impeller replaced and the mechanic crawled in and took care of it pretty quickly.
We have a young kid at our marina who does some service work and I'm sure he could easily get in there.

Me...ain't happening. I think I'm just a little too big, but more importantly, at 67, my body just doesn't bend like it used to.
Last edited by buster53 on October 27th, 2020, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » October 27th, 2020, 8:57 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post My stairs do lift out for access to the starboard trans.

Anything special you have to do to move them? I looked at mine and I couldn't see anyway to move them. Maybe I need to look harder.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » October 27th, 2020, 10:22 am

There are four screws that hold the aft cabin stairs in place. You have to feel around in the carpet to find them. Once removed the stairs easily tilt back and lift out.
Not sure what engines you have. I have Merc 7.4's. There is exactly 10" between the heat exchanger and the bulkhead under the dinette to get down in front of the engine. I'm a little thick in the middle,(5'10' 185) but not much, no way I can fit.
If the genny wasn't mounted in the middle forward of the engines, I could get in from the side instead of above without removing the heat exchanger.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral

Postby buster53 » October 27th, 2020, 1:00 pm

tomschauer wrote:There are four screws that hold the aft cabin stairs in place. You have to feel around in the carpet to find them. Once removed the stairs easily tilt back and lift out.
Not sure what engines you have. I have Merc 7.4's. There is exactly 10" between the heat exchanger and the bulkhead under the dinette to get down in front of the engine. I'm a little thick in the middle,(5'10' 185) but not much, no way I can fit.
If the genny wasn't mounted in the middle forward of the engines, I could get in from the side instead of above without removing the heat exchanger.

Good to know. Thanks.

BTW, I have Crusader 8.1's, so maybe a different configuration from your Merc 7.4's.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 27th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Take a look behind the tranny opposite the stairs. If I remember correctly, when they're removable, you'll see some framing on the bulkhead otherwise it'll just look like one solid molded piece covered with insulation. Tom can confirm.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”