Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carever 26 - Fuel tank original set-up?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Carever 26 - Fuel tank original set-up?

Postby Phrancus » October 31st, 2020, 1:31 pm

About our fuel tank: A carver 26 fly-bridge (1991 or so) , originally 2 petrol engines in it, after crossing the ocean to Europe, two Diesels were fitted.

The fuel tank is a 111 gallons 'skyline industries; model 46870-00' aluminium tank. In my boat this one is filled with diesel fuel. Unfortunately, some doofus seems to have spilled diesel fuel along the side (I suspect when trying to take out the fuel level meter, which requires removal of a fuel line) so the boat stinks.

Recor filters fitted with the transparent bottoms, pretty messy so that's to be cleaned soon. These may be originally there when the petrol engines were fitted?

Is this the original tank? is there a bilge pump underneath? Is there a way to access the space under the tank (perhaps through the engine bay? there is water tank mounted in front (full at the moment, working on that) so can't see the bulkhead untill it is removed).

If there is no connection between engine bay and petrol-tank-area-bilge, would it be an idea to drill a hole to be able to flush that bilge?

All thoughts welcome.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Re: Carever 26 - Fuel tank original set-up?

Postby uchu » October 31st, 2020, 8:27 pm

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » November 1st, 2020, 3:32 am

Thank you, very informational article. However, one of the first things to do is to clean, clean, clean, detail and clean. And that is my challenge for the moment: how to access the area under the fuel tank.

I don't have much detail of the boat lay-out as it was originally, so I'm sometimes struggling to understand why something is fitted the way it is. Some things I can trace back to the switch from petrol to diesel and some things were done when 'europeanizing' the boat (different shore voltage). Even some things changed when the boat left Belgium and came to The Netherlands (different sockets). Left are some odd bits and things that were bodged-in in later years.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 1st, 2020, 2:45 pm

Phrancus wrote:Source of the post ....
Recor filters fitted with the transparent bottoms, pretty messy so that's to be cleaned soon. These may be originally there when the petrol engines were fitted? ...

I can't address any of your questions on accessing the area below the tanks, but those filters with the transparent bowls would likely NOT have been original equipment with petrol engines. In the USA, those would be prohibited on a petrol engine so Carver would not have installed them.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”