Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 506

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Re: Carver 506

Postby Carpediem » January 2nd, 2022, 11:18 pm

Tennessee River Rat wrote:Source of the post Very useful information. My original interest was the earlier comments regarding the swim platform being underwater while underway. I have noticed our platform being underwater at the higher RPM"s. But last outing after filling up with 500+gals. of diesel fuel, full water tanks, two new furniture additions by the 1st mate in the aft deck along with 4 full sized adults, we pulled out on the river and got it up on plane turned over the wheel to 1st mate and I walked back to rear window and saw water rolling over the swim platform all the way up to the first step. Freaked me out, good to know that is normal. And the other point was the 1-1/2" Vent piping to waste tank. There are two lines running over top of bed platform. One of those lines is a 1-1/2". Was not sure which was the vent line. Need a filter for it.

The platform should be well out of the water once on plane over ten or twelve knots, what speed were you making and were your tabs full down? At eight knots my platform is just above the water with occasional washing over, at ten and above it is well out of the water.
Carpe Diem
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » January 14th, 2022, 11:02 am

Has anyone with a 506 examined the reverse cycle heat and air seawater water system? I have a leak that fills the bilge (and pumps out) when the cabin heater or AC is operating. I started looking for the leak and found some very Rube Goldberg plumbing. Along the starboard side of the ER there are two branches of the 1/2 inch supply lines running from a five-port manifold. One of the lines transitions into a Y and steps up to 1 1/2 PVC pipe and continues aft, behind the fuel tanks and onward behind the master head wall. I have yet to look for where or how the PVC hose terminates. On the other branch of the 1 1/2 inch Y there is another adapter back down to 1/2 hose which supplies the aft salon A/C Heat unit. The problem is that the idiots that put this abomination together used clamps with a larger radius than was required so no matter how tight the clamp is adjusted, it still leaks. The real problem is that the hose connections are behind the fuel tank, barley reachable between the void between the black water tank and the fuel tank. I can touch the fittings with fingertips but no chance of getting to them with both hands and tools. I already removed the water maker system which was blocking the area, now I need to dismantle the sewer system to move the tank aft enough to get behind there and un-F the plumbing. My question is why the step up in hose from 1/2inch to 1 1/2 on the pressure side instead of just simply staying with the 1/2 inch hose though out the system? From the looks of the quality of the plumbing transition, it looks like somebody's half-baked attempt at repair using Ace Hardware parts.
Just wondering if anyone knows for sure what the original plumbing is supposed to look like. I have 4 units on one pump and two bridge units on their own pump.
Thanks
Carpe Diem

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 21st, 2022, 7:59 pm

That sounds pretty crazy, I would be surprised if its a factory install. No reason for the 1 1/2.
If you can access it, consider removing the 1 1/2 reducers and using that PVC pipe as a conduit to fish your 1/2" hose through. Then put the coupling connections where you can reach them if needed in the future.

Good luck!

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » February 28th, 2022, 8:16 pm

I removed the 1 1/2 pipe and ran the 1/2 inch aft to the ER bulkhead where the two overboard water lines then T into an OEM flexible PVC hose to the stern. System works 70 percent better.

United States of America
dskasner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506

Postby dskasner » May 12th, 2022, 8:44 pm

The location of those pumps is correct. Several inches of water is normal. Pump to min level then use shop vac to get the rest. Then spray with bleach help keep odor under control.

United States of America
Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carpe Diem » August 11th, 2022, 11:11 pm

Interested in knowing what speed/rpm/fuel burn I should be seeing for the 506 with the Volvo 480 hp TAMD74P enignes.
My WOT is 2450 and an I can barley squeeze 20 kts top end. Is this normal? Bottom was cleaned recently. I run at about 10 knots at 1500-1600 rpm. I do not have any fuel totalizer information.
Thanks
Carpe Diem

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”