Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 506

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Re: Carver 506

Postby Carpediem » January 22nd, 2021, 12:25 am

Well I figured out where all the water came from. There are four plastic access screw in panels on the sole of the swim deck. The captain stepped thru one when boarding. We figured we would just add that to the list of stuff to do at the yard. We did not realize the extent the swim platform is awash at low speed and during the first thirty minutes we were crawling along at 6 knots and then stopped for a back down check. We also did not realize that there is no solid bulkhead between the swim deck and the aft bilge. We do now! If I was computer literate I would include a pic.
As to the pumps, they are all wired to come on automatically but two had stuck float switches. The boat sits most of the time and the current owner farms everything out so only fixed stuff that he knew did not work. Do any of you with 506s have those access panels installed? if so I would make sure they are in good order.
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 5th, 2021, 6:17 am

Carpediem wrote:Source of the post Well I figured out where all the water came from. There are four plastic access screw in panels on the sole of the swim deck. The captain stepped thru one when boarding. We figured we would just add that to the list of stuff to do at the yard. We did not realize the extent the swim platform is awash at low speed and during the first thirty minutes we were crawling along at 6 knots and then stopped for a back down check. We also did not realize that there is no solid bulkhead between the swim deck and the aft bilge. We do now! If I was computer literate I would include a pic.
As to the pumps, they are all wired to come on automatically but two had stuck float switches. The boat sits most of the time and the current owner farms everything out so only fixed stuff that he knew did not work. Do any of you with 506s have those access panels installed? if so I would make sure they are in good order.

Is there anything installed on your platform that the access plates would allow access to for install or maintenance ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 5th, 2021, 10:27 am

Great update. Glad you found the source!

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » February 5th, 2021, 11:57 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
Carpediem wrote:Source of the post Well I figured out where all the water came from. There are four plastic access screw in panels on the sole of the swim deck. The captain stepped thru one when boarding. We figured we would just add that to the list of stuff to do at the yard. We did not realize the extent the swim platform is awash at low speed and during the first thirty minutes we were crawling along at 6 knots and then stopped for a back down check. We also did not realize that there is no solid bulkhead between the swim deck and the aft bilge. We do now! If I was computer literate I would include a pic.

Is there anything installed on your platform that the access plates would allow access to for install or maintenance ?

There is a dinghy davit installed as well as a set of abandoned Weaver davit plates. Holes were cut to facilitate the installation and poorly sealed so the core is saturated. Ill be working to rectify that once the transaction is complete

United States of America
dskasner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506

Postby dskasner » February 15th, 2021, 10:17 pm

The carver 506 does have a high water alarm. It's located under the hatch in master stateroom just forward of fresh water tank

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » February 22nd, 2021, 12:36 am

On the 506 the forward waste tank has a vent filter installed and it looks like the hose is too long and was stuffed into too tight of a bend and kinked. It looks like perhaps who ever installed the filter was trying to form a loop to avoid sea water intrusion into the tank in rough seas. Does anyone know it that is necessary in the vent line? I was puzzled as to why it is a 1 1/2 hose as opposed to a 1/2 or 3/4 inch hose and not mounted higher on the hull.
I was going to just cut the hose to a length that would allow a straight shot to the thru hull but wanted to make sure i don't need a loop. It looks like the hose was just cut and the after market filter installed which left the hose too long for the run it has to the thru hull.
Carpe DIem

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 22nd, 2021, 8:46 am

If the routing is all downhill from the thru-hull fitting to the filter, you should have a loop right at the thru-hull. This will prevent outside water from getting into the filter. I have found that if the loop isn't properly supported, the hose will eventually relax and cause a kink. The other thing you can do to maintain a loop is make one out of a couple of PVC elbows and fittings to clamp the hoses on to. This would also take up less space as you would end up with a tighter radius.

The larger size vent hose is the best setup as it helps prevent tank collapse during pump outs.

By the way, you should start a new thread for a different topic in the plumbing section as it's likely to get more attention than some one else's thread on a different topic. There's like 3 or 4 different topics on this thread now. Your post might get lost here. FWIW

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 22nd, 2021, 1:46 pm

Carpediem wrote:Source of the post On the 506 the forward waste tank has a vent filter installed and it looks like the hose is too long and was stuffed into too tight of a bend and kinked. It looks like perhaps who ever installed the filter was trying to form a loop to avoid sea water intrusion into the tank in rough seas. Does anyone know it that is necessary in the vent line? I was puzzled as to why it is a 1 1/2 hose as opposed to a 1/2 or 3/4 inch hose and not mounted higher on the hull.
I was going to just cut the hose to a length that would allow a straight shot to the thru hull but wanted to make sure i don't need a loop. It looks like the hose was just cut and the after market filter installed which left the hose too long for the run it has to the thru hull.
Carpe DIem

A couple things to add to what Viper said....you do need the loop, keeps water out...also stops water ingestion into the charcoal filter during a pumpout or anytime which would render the filter useless.

Another reason for the 1.5" hose..... it allows more air in the tank to help bacteria/microbes breakdown contents and reduce odor. Now on a vacuflush system, check your tank to see if there is a vacuum breaker ( Tank Saver ) on there to protect against tank collapse during pumpout. Electric toilets will just let air into the tank during pumpouts.

Also check the vent filter to see if the filter is the full 1.5" inlet and outlet fitttings and not necked down to 5/8".
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » February 22nd, 2021, 10:38 pm

Viper wrote:Source of the post If the routing is all downhill from the thru-hull fitting to the filter, you should have a loop right at the thru-hull. This will prevent outside water from getting into the filter. I have found that if the loop isn't properly supported, the hose will eventually relax and cause a kink. The other thing you can do to maintain a loop is make one out of a couple of PVC elbows and fittings to clamp the hoses on to. This would also take up less space as you would end up with a tighter radius.

The larger size vent hose is the best setup as it helps prevent tank collapse during pump outs.

By the way, you should start a new thread for a different topic in the plumbing section as it's likely to get more attention than some one else's thread on a different topic. There's like 3 or 4 different topics on this thread now. Your post might get lost here. FWIW

When I first started posting on the forum I was looking for a model specific threads. Since this one is entitled '506' I thought it was for any issues specific to 506s. Thanks for the PVC pipe idea, that may solve a few issues with the install

United States of America
Tennessee River Rat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506 Aft Cabin 480 Volvo's
2007 Meridian 341 with 6.2 MPI Horizon Mercruiser Engines
1988 Sea Ray 340 with Twin 454's
1987 Stratos with 200 HP Merc

Postby Tennessee River Rat » January 2nd, 2022, 2:54 am

Very useful information. My original interest was the earlier comments regarding the swim platform being underwater while underway. I have noticed our platform being underwater at the higher RPM"s. But last outing after filling up with 500+gals. of diesel fuel, full water tanks, two new furniture additions by the 1st mate in the aft deck along with 4 full sized adults, we pulled out on the river and got it up on plane turned over the wheel to 1st mate and I walked back to rear window and saw water rolling over the swim platform all the way up to the first step. Freaked me out, good to know that is normal. And the other point was the 1-1/2" Vent piping to waste tank. There are two lines running over top of bed platform. One of those lines is a 1-1/2". Was not sure which was the vent line. Need a filter for it.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”