Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

99/00 44 Hardtop express thoughts, opinions, reviews, etc

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: 99/00 44 Hardtop express thoughts, opinions, reviews, etc

Postby SeaNile » January 8th, 2021, 5:57 pm

Thank you so much for the offer. Learned that the Erie Canal opens on/around May 1 so I have to take that into consideration. Here I was thinking I could get the boat sometime in early April. Again, not a deal breaker since the season here is still very iffy in April.

The TAMD75's at cruise speed on this boat is about 35-40 GPH? I know the 40 SeaRay with 3116 Cats is in the low 20's GPH at cruise. Not that big of a deal but trying to get a feel for speed and GPH on the Trojan.

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 8th, 2021, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the offer. Just found out the Erie Canal doesn't open until on/around May 1. Didn't even think of that because I figured I could get the boat in early/mid April.

Cruise with the TAMD75s about 35-40 GPH?

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 8th, 2021, 7:37 pm

Yeah. Around here the weather is so unstable prior to May 1, you would not want to attempt it anyway. Could get blown in to obscure marina that isn't even open for days, not to mention availabilty of fuel. GPH is going to be variable on so many things. Condition/tuning/water/speed/weight/wind/temp. I would figure in that range. It looks conservative. Maybe someone with those engines will chime in with a similar weight vessel. 30K pounds in an Express style. Motor Yacht will have a lot more wind resistance. If my buddy quotes a great deal, you could use that as a competitive basis at the very least. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 13th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Looked at another SeaRay, a 2000 410 with 3116 Cats. Showed OK at best but is priced way too high for the outdated electronics and badly stained interior carpets. Still can't see the 159k Express yet, calling the broker yet again tomorrow.

Also going to look at a 2003 Regal 4260 Commodore with TAMD75 engines. Never see a Regal up close so I am looking forward to seeing the layout.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 13th, 2021, 10:54 pm

You may like the regal layout. One thing to look for with the regal, i believe prior to 2014. If it has colored hull sides and they are showing discoloration, don't believe the broker when he says it will buff out. It wont.
Certainly doesn't effect performance, but makes the boat look much older than it is.

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 14th, 2021, 1:54 pm

The Regal is an 03 with white hull which is good. Has one engine has an issue which is relatively new and unresolved at this point, could be a voltage drop, rusted connections, dreaded ECM (doubtful), etc. It is beginning to show the typical Regal interior cabinet haze. Known issue with no real solution.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 15th, 2021, 11:43 am

Sea Nile - check your email, sent some info. I am not a big Regal fan. During my last shopping task, I looked at a few in the 30 ft range. I like their lines and curb appeal, but each one of them looked more worn than their actual age. That plus, they really seem to keep their beams narrow in that size range. Probably for towing options. They also would test out sub-par to other manufacturers when I would go over with moisture meter, which told me they used a lot more coring then other brands. Also each of the 3 I looked at, had some sort of engine knock noise. Could have been something minor, but I am not interested in "finding the knock" fun. Have never looked at Regal 40's. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 15th, 2021, 3:24 pm

I'll admit a bit of my curiosity on the Regal 4260 is there is nothing else out there right now that really has caught my eye. In all probability, the Canada 44 Express won't happen due to Covid and travel restrictions. There is 44 Express in the Ft. Lauderdale area but it's under contract. The pics and videos are OK at best and there is no WOW to the boat. The 159k one in NJ, well the broker has not returned my calls and last time we spoke said he still doesnt know where the boat is, cant get ahold of the owner, etc.

That leaves me looking at a very suspicious Regal 4260 local to me and about 3 other 99-01 Sea Ray 400/410 boats. None of the SR boats wow me either.

All I know is come May 1 I better have a boat in my slip!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 15th, 2021, 4:03 pm

Looks like you may be on hold for a while. A while back we were on the hunt for our last boat.....we looked and looked but everything in our chosen dollar range at the time was either a money pit of years of repairs or had mechanical issues that the owners would not account for in the offer.

At that point we ended up buying a Carver that was 40K higher than what we were looking at but was a nice boat that still required some updating, but was reasonably turn key in that we bought it then got on board and brought it home....a two day trip with zero issues.

Now in case you are saying, " yea so what ", the point of it is this, we sold that same boat for 25% more than we paid for it due to the market. It is tough now as any boats that are any good are sold, higher priced than before and the bargain priced ones that remain seem to require too much saving like you have mentioned.

You may have to reset the budget figure to get a quality boat in the time constraint you have, unless you want a project....you are correct in saying that the Canadian boat would be difficult to get home by May, even if it was good to go......again this is just my considered opinion.......good luck man....keep us posted.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 15th, 2021, 4:25 pm

I don't have a set budget but probably in the 85-150k range. But it's got to make sense to me, just because the budget goes to 150 does not mean I am willing to overpay by an extreme amount. We are all over paying in this market but a 2000 400 SeaRay is not worth 140k.

Unless my budget goes to 225 (which it will not do!) there doesnt seem to be a huge difference in the 100-150 range. Same brands, same models, same years but some sellers are just asking that much more...

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”