Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

99/00 44 Hardtop express thoughts, opinions, reviews, etc

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: 99/00 44 Hardtop express thoughts, opinions, reviews, etc

Postby RGrew176 » December 31st, 2020, 5:48 pm

One thing to think about is the exchange of the Canadian vs American $. If the Canadian boat is $126K that translates to $98,903 American. Makes the boat a pretty good deal and the additional cost of transportation not such a big deal.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author United States of America
SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » December 31st, 2020, 10:06 pm

The price is already in USD, haven't come to an absolute agreement but it'll be less than 130k.

Trying to see the one in Jersey City but the broker has not called back in a few days. Frustrating.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 1st, 2021, 11:46 am

RE: difference of 30K. Lot more boat in the 440 Trojan. OAL is 6 ft longer, Beam is 14" wider, and the weight is 7,400 lbs more. Granted, part of that is the hardtop, but still significant weight difference. Most often, that is a result of construction and less coring on the Trojan. The base price on the Trojan was $100K more when the vessels were new. Again, that hardtop is cooked in that difference, but well worth it. In my travels I have seen more than a dozen 440's. My original retirement plan was to purchase a 440, and live out my years in New Zealand in the Bay of Islands area. Then grandkids happened. Could never be seperated by that much distance from those kids. One testimony to quality of construction. Hundreds of 35 foot posts were accidently dumped into Lake Michigan in 1996. I was in Door County when a Trojan 440 came in, the captain was totally beside himself. On the cruise across from lower Michigan, he hit a number of those posts that were penciled at the water line, going at cruising speed. The impact was so hard, the entire vessel shook like an earthquake. He did not come off plain because he was convinced a post could be protruding through the hull. We got him to a shallow area where he could inspect under hull. Saw two impact points due to bottom paint scrape. We were also able to pinpoint the spots in the bilge to inspect any stress cracks. Nothing, no damage in or out. He lifted the vessel with a travel lift, had a surveyor inspect the area. Again, no evidence of any incident, other than the bottom paint rub. Did find a couple more impact points on the outside. This is the first time I saw a very good captain slam a martini at 7:15 in the morning. AND, you will probably put off the twofootitis for a number of years IMHO. Good luck! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 1st, 2021, 3:02 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm not 100% sold on the hardtop, although it does have a large sky light window that retracts, it does not have cockpit or helm AC. My initial thoughts are it may be significantly hotter in the helm area while anchored, probably louder while cruising and also has the possibility of diesel fume smell at low speed and maybe even at cruise. All of this when compared to the canvas top boats because I would rarely have the front canvas portion in that connects the overhead canvas to the windshield.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 1st, 2021, 7:59 pm

Hard top or Canvas?
I would take the hard top anytime!!!!

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » January 1st, 2021, 10:36 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Hard top or Canvas?
I would take the hard top anytime!!!!

Same here. No doubt about it.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 2nd, 2021, 2:00 pm

We will see what happens. The hardtop one is in Canada which makes seeing it impossible at this time and also would make getting it to me challenging. The one for 159k is an easier purchase because it's only a 2hr car ride away. Aside from the crazy asking price it has a rather dark interior which I don't care for including a black couch. I think the boat needs to be lightened up a bit with lighter carpet, couch, etc.

The other choice is a 99-02 Sea Ray 400/410 SunDancer. I know a totally different boat but there are several that are of interest to me.

United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Postby Helmsman » January 2nd, 2021, 11:54 pm

SeaNile wrote:Source of the post We will see what happens. The hardtop one is in Canada which makes seeing it impossible at this time and also would make getting it to me challenging. The one for 159k is an easier purchase because it's only a 2hr car ride away. Aside from the crazy asking price it has a rather dark interior which I don't care for including a black couch. I think the boat needs to be lightened up a bit with lighter carpet, couch, etc.

The other choice is a 99-02 Sea Ray 400/410 SunDancer. I know a totally different boat but there are several that are of interest to me.

If you plan to own it for awhile, I would spend the time to get as many key items that you want as possible. Check both the Sea Rays and Carvers you are looking at to see if the hull is cored. Some people don’t mind that but I would, particularly in an older boat.

I would take diesel over gas any day. Diesel’s are safer, and Diesel engines last much longer as long as they have been cared for.

I think the environment you are buying in is quite tough. Most boats being sold have inflated pricing, and as you noted CV is certainly making things tougher.

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 3rd, 2021, 12:28 am

The 159k boat? On market since September with zero offers....does not appear updated to me other than the isinglass looks decent. Apparently the valve adjustment has not been done according to the broker "these engines don't need a valve adjustment, no one does that....been doing this for 26yrs and never heard of such a thing."

Quick look, headliner needs attention, several bubbles in the arch, I'm sure the engines need the after coolers cleaned, etc.

The other local one was a 99 listed at 95k just went under contract. Heard from someone who looked at it "was in rough shape and passed." So, there is no way this 159k boat is a 159k boat when the BUC is 115 and the comps are 100ish. Here is a link to the boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/t ... t-3692895/

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 3rd, 2021, 10:30 pm

The pics of that Trojan look pretty nice.
Covid has really made it a sellers market. Boats and motor homes are selling for crazy dollars. You have have been able to get that Trojan in 2019 for 125k or less. When we purchased our 355 in 2015 (14?) it was surveyed at 79.5k. Just had a survey done for insurance and it surveyed at 92.5k. I did do some decent upgrades and improvements, but not that $$ in my opinion. Your bargaining chip is many lenders will not lend on a boat more than 20 years old, or if they do the rate is higher.

Good luck!!

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”