Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

99/00 44 Hardtop express thoughts, opinions, reviews, etc

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: 99/00 44 Hardtop express thoughts, opinions, reviews, etc

Postby Cooler » January 4th, 2021, 11:58 am

I would be a little suspect of a broker that has been "doing this for 26 yrs and never heard of such a thing". Brokers of that tenure have heard of almost everything. He is working for the seller for sure. Also, around here, the surveyors are generally on the high side of FMV. Last boat I bought surveyed at $20K higher than I paid, and that was on a $34K asking price. Your price point is much different. True value is what a buyer is willing to pay, and the seller is willing to accept. The Trojan in Canada sounds a lot more attractive, especially with that hardtop. Remember, very few things payoff as much as " a little patience ". But that is easy to say, and tough to execute. I love the boat buying game, but I would have been a terrible broker....way too honest. Continued good luck. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author United States of America
SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 4th, 2021, 3:46 pm

I agree, not thrilled with the broker who hasn't gotten back to me in a week about seeing the boat. I don't hold that against the boat and still would like to see it. If for no other reason it's only 2hrs away and would be my first time seeing a 44 Express. Seen a million Sea Ray 400/410 but never a Trojan Express.

Canada one does sound like a better boat but buying it will be difficult. Can't goto Canada to see it and I'd have to hire a captain to get it from Toronto to the Chesapeake, or at least to NYC. I wouldn't be able to invest in the time for the entire trip, but from NYC....no problem.

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 7th, 2021, 9:29 am

Broker can't get in touch with the 159k boat owner so we can't even look at it because the broker is unaware of where the boat is for winter storage. Frustrating for me and the broker.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » January 7th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Yea, well this tells you the "broker" is simply another party trying to snag a commission. There are many instances where "brokers" just piggyback on other sites, adding another layer of expense and communication issues to the transaction. The primary broker would have direct contact to the owner, know where the boat is, and would have a signed brokerage agreement with the owner. The person you are dealing with doesn't know anything about the boat more than you do by just reading an ad. I am sure he is "willing" to help you find another boat. That boat or broker is not passing the simple smell test. Sorry you are going through this experience. Buying a boat should be fun, not frustrating. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 7th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Apparently he is the listing broker. I always make it a point to deal with the listing broker. If not I have a broker I would (should) use to do the work. Going to look at the ads again to confirm the listing agent. His name is at the bottom of the ad on every site.

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 7th, 2021, 12:51 pm

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » January 7th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Well, continued good luck. I guess I find it really strange that he does not know where the boat is. When I bought my Carver, I called the listing company, talked to a "broker", and he said the boat was not available to see unless I was willing to pay for repair to shrink wrap because it was stored outside. It was January. BUT, he had several boats he could show me in his storage facility. I recognized the marina where the Carver pictures were taken, so I called the dockmaster to ask him if he knew the owner of the boat name. He said yeah I do, the owner is a good friend. The boat is in the marina warm storage facility, and could be viewed anytime. Called the owner and set up an inspection ( did broker's job ). Turns out he is a great guy! We negotiated the transaction, and it went really well for both of us. He disclosed I was the only person who expressed interest in the 4 months it was for sale, but he was happy the vessel was going to someone who will use and respect her. He was still going to pay the broker fee, until I told him how the "broker" represented his boat. He was a little shocked, as this broker was a "friend" who sold him the same boat originally. There are honest broker's out there, but they are probably getting squeezed out by the others. Sad commentary, but I did end up with a great boat. FYI - I live 15 miles from the main Carver factory. Know a lot of people who worked there at one point or another. Continue to use this forum. Lot's of help here. I am retired and work very part time at a marine store that some friends own. My boat is the test boat for new product offerings. Fun little job, but never conflicts with my boating passion. Take care. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

SeaNile
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby SeaNile » January 7th, 2021, 2:21 pm

It's early January so I am not totally frustrated just yet but I would really like to see this boat before I purchase a 99-02 Sea Ray Sundancer. Not that the SR is a better boat but because i can easily view about 6 of these before making my final decision.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 8th, 2021, 9:09 am

FYI......Ontario with especially the Toronto area is at this time locked down due to the virus spread till the end of the month about.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » January 8th, 2021, 12:12 pm

SeaNile - you're doing the right thing! Your patience will be rewarded, one way or the other. Saw your post to Toronto resident. There are a lot of Carver owners there, that are on this forum. Just a matter of when they see your request. Keep updating it so you are on the cover page. You mentioned the survey was completed. Were you able to get a copy? Final piece of help. I have a friend who is a licensed capt, and he does cruise boats to new owners. If things get serious with the Toronto boat, let me know. If you want, I will talk to him about an affordable fee structure. Travel expense, and very reasonable fee. I will offer my assist at no additional cost to you, just consider it an adventure. My buddy is very mechanically inclined, and retired. He cruises a 48 MY. Not sure how the international piece will play into the equation, but as long as Covid starts to loosen up, I am thinking both countries want to get opened up. Hope this works for you! I have one of those strange feelings it is meant to be! We gained 10 full minutes of daylight since 12-21, and we are just 112 days to boat season! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”