Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Considering a 2000 506 with Volvo TMAD74s

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

Considering a 2000 506 with Volvo TMAD74s

Postby Carpediem » January 3rd, 2021, 11:14 pm

Hello 506 owners, We were really set on a voyager as a move up boat from our Searay 44DB. I turns out that there is a 2000 506 at our marina, as a matter of fact it is occupying my slip while I look for a Voyager. Just for grins I took the wife to tour the 506 to compare to the Voyager and long story short, it looks like we may be buying the 506. It was not for sale but after speaking with the owner he has decided to sell it if we want it. I do all of my own service and repairs on my equipment and am wondering if there are any other 506 DIYers in the Sacramento / SF Bay Delta area to network with to learn the idiosyncrasies of the 506. This is a low our two owner boat originally from So Cal. Seems to be in really good shape but definitely not lovingly cared for in the bilge. I like to keep my ER and bilge as clean as my salon so If we move forward I will have my work cut our for me.
I'd appreciate any input as to how you with the 506s feel about them.
Thanks
Rusty Mayes
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

United States of America
Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 444 diesels

Re: Considering a 2000 506 with Volvo TMAD74s

Postby Pete » January 3rd, 2021, 11:45 pm

I have a 2001 Carver 444 MY in the SF Bay, not sure how similar they are. I do a lot myself but I also know my limitations.
2001 444
The best way to improve your memory is to do unforgettable things.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » January 4th, 2021, 11:30 am

This situation also presents you with a golden opportunity to spend some time with the present owner. You can learn a lot about the vessel - how he used it, any little quirks the vessel had, whether he really maintained it or not, all that stuff that a broker would not know or share with you. Also, it still goes without saying, but I will say it. Have a survey done. Good luck. The owners I see on the forum just rave about the boat most of the time. Another option is to go to the "members" tab, click to last page, and scan back in the list for 506 owners. People love talking about their boats. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Pete » January 31st, 2021, 5:27 pm

Carpediem wrote:Source of the post Hello 506 owners, We were really set on a voyager as a move up boat from our Searay 44DB. I turns out that there is a 2000 506 at our marina, as a matter of fact it is occupying my slip while I look for a Voyager. Just for grins I took the wife to tour the 506 to compare to the Voyager and long story short, it looks like we may be buying the 506. It was not for sale but after speaking with the owner he has decided to sell it if we want it. I do all of my own service and repairs on my equipment and am wondering if there are any other 506 DIYers in the Sacramento / SF Bay Delta area to network with to learn the idiosyncrasies of the 506. This is a low our two owner boat originally from So Cal. Seems to be in really good shape but definitely not lovingly cared for in the bilge. I like to keep my ER and bilge as clean as my salon so If we move forward I will have my work cut our for me.
I'd appreciate any input as to how you with the 506s feel about them.
Thanks
Rusty Mayes

Hey Carpediem,
I guess you emailed me but the admin forwarded it as spam. I'll try to connect with you from my end.
2001 444

Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » February 1st, 2021, 10:42 pm

Pete, I received your email, We are proceeding with the purchase. Boat has been on the hard at KKMI in Richmond since the 22nd and should launch on Wednesday. It will be a few more weeks for the transfer to complete. I've been enjoying getting to know the boat while its been out of the water.
Rusty

United States of America
Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Pete » February 10th, 2021, 10:41 pm

Congrats Rusty!
2001 444

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 11th, 2021, 8:29 am

Nice yacht.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » February 24th, 2021, 11:22 pm

We closed on the 506 today so this week end the fun begins making the boat ours. I've got a long list chores to get the boat to where we want it, mostly cosmetic and some engine room service and cleaning. The boat has mostly new bells and whistles so most of the work will just involve some elbow grease. Looking forward to beginning our new journey in Carver ownership on TREVI. I'll be installing a wireless remote control that I developed and installed on several 40 to 55 foot Sea Rays that make single handling the boat feasible. Ill update on how that works out.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”