Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Access to sea strainer

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Carver 33 Aft Cabin

Access to sea strainer

Postby Roddono » January 21st, 2021, 10:50 am

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get to the starboard sea strainer on a 1991 Carver 33 aft cabin? I can see it, it is under the dinette but now way to get there. Access panels under seat cushions go nowhere. Thanks in advance.

Ray...

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Access to sea strainer

Postby Roddono » January 21st, 2021, 11:32 am

Roddono wrote:Source of the post Anybody have any suggestions on how to get to the starboard sea strainer on a 1991 Carver 33 aft cabin? I can see it, it is under the dinette but now way to get there. Access panels under seat cushions go nowhere. Thanks in advance.

Ray...

Also I forgot to add I have crusader 454 engines. I have read some posts that those engines for that year might not have had sea strainers so the one on the port side I cleaned might have been a/c and the one on starboard side I can’t get to might be generator. Any thoughts on this as well?

Ray..

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 21st, 2021, 11:50 am

That's correct, not all of the earlier models had strainers. For those that did, and I might be thinking of the 35's, I seem to recall that if I couldn't squeeze down there from the top in front of the engine, I would get in front of the port engine and access the starboard strainer by stretching across the front of the generator. And yes, typically the AC strainer was on the port side and generator strainer was on the starb side.

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roddono » January 21st, 2021, 11:54 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post That's correct, not all of the earlier models had strainers. For those that did, and I might be thinking of the 35's, I seem to recall that if I couldn't squeeze down there from the top in front of the engine, I would get in front of the port engine and access the starboard strainer by stretching across the front of the generator. And yes, typically the AC strainer was on the port side and generator strainer was on the starb side.

I did not think of that. I will try. Thanks

Ray...

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roddono » January 21st, 2021, 2:17 pm

Roddono wrote:Source of the post
Viper wrote:Source of the post That's correct, not all of the earlier models had strainers. For those that did, and I might be thinking of the 35's, I seem to recall that if I couldn't squeeze down there from the top in front of the engine, I would get in front of the port engine and access the starboard strainer by stretching across the front of the generator. And yes, typically the AC strainer was on the port side and generator strainer was on the starb side.

I did not think of that. I will try. Thanks

Worked! Little tight, carrying a bit of holiday weight.

Thanks.

Ray...
Ray...

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 21st, 2021, 3:33 pm

While you are at it, you could make some spare gaskets for the strainer lids and hang them down there in a zip lock....ya never know...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » January 21st, 2021, 4:10 pm

Did you figure out if it's an engine one or one for the generator? I would think they'd be easy to tell apart, as the engine ones should be at least 1 1/4" hoses.

I would be miffed if strainers or seacocks were tough to get to. I think you'd want EASY access to something like that, even if another hatch had to be put in somewhere.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 21st, 2021, 10:17 pm

Glad it worked out. Do you have engine strainers?

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roddono » January 22nd, 2021, 9:00 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Did you figure out if it's an engine one or one for the generator? I would think they'd be easy to tell apart, as the engine ones should be at least 1 1/4" hoses.

I would be miffed if strainers or seacocks were tough to get to. I think you'd want EASY access to something like that, even if another hatch had to be put in somewhere.

No engine strainers. One for a/c and one for genny. They are different sizes. That should have been my first clue. And yes, a separate hatch would be nice.

Ray

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roddono » January 22nd, 2021, 9:01 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Glad it worked out. Do you have engine strainers?

No. Just genny and a/c.

Thanks

Ray...

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”