Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Generator fuel selector

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 Carver 33 Aft Cabin

Generator fuel selector

Postby Roddono » January 23rd, 2021, 7:35 am

Hello all. Would love some feedback on the following situation. My 1991 Carver 33’s Koehler genny will run all day long when the fuel selector switch is set to starboard fuel tank. If I select port fuel tank it will run for 20 minutes almost exactly. Both fuel tanks have about a half tank of new good fuel in them. Engines perfect. Am I missing something? Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Generator fuel selector

Postby km1125 » January 23rd, 2021, 10:26 am

Can you restart it n the port fuel tank, or do you need to switch back to the starboard tank to run it?

I'm wondering if you have a bad anti-siphon valve on that port side, or an air leak that prevents you from pulling from the port side. Could the 20 minutes be just what the generator uses in the lines and the filter?

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roddono » January 23rd, 2021, 10:30 am

Km1125,

I have to switch back to starboard to start. Then when I switch it back to port I get approximately 20 minutes. My thinking is that as well, maybe that is the amount of fuel in the line now. That seems like an excessive run though. I have also read I might have a bad pick up line in the port tank.

What is an anti-siphon valve and how do I check it? I know dumb question.

Thanks. Ray...

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 23rd, 2021, 11:14 am

Ya looks like it's something related to that tank or delivery system on that side. You don't know what the previous owner did so ensure that the fuel line to that tank from the selector valve is actually hooked up at the valve and not blocked off at the valve or tank. The option may also have been available but not installed. Also check the line and ensure there are no kinks anywhere to that tank. Could you be pointing the valve the wrong way? I've seen this before! Could also be a faulty valve.

The anti-siphon valve is a fitting on top of the tank and is what the fuel line is connected to. There is a ball and spring in it so you can't see through it. Could be a straight fitting or an elbow. Remove it and try running the genny again. If it continues to run normally, you likely found your problem but you must replace the anti-siphon valve with a new one as it is a safety device. You can try cleaning the valve and reusing it but why bother reinstalling a 30 year old $15 part.

Here is an example: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2685649

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roddono » January 23rd, 2021, 11:29 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Ya looks like it's something related to that tank or delivery system on that side. You don't know what the previous owner did so ensure that the fuel line to that tank from the selector valve is actually hooked up at the valve and not blocked off at the valve or tank. The option may also have been available but not installed. Also check the line and ensure there are no kinks anywhere to that tank. Could you be pointing the valve the wrong way? I've seen this before! Could also be a faulty valve.

The anti-siphon valve is a fitting on top of the tank and is what the fuel line is connected to. There is a ball and spring in it so you can't see through it. Could be a straight fitting or an elbow. Remove it and try running the genny again. If it continues to run normally, you likely found your problem but you must replace the anti-siphon valve with a new one as it is a safety device. You can try cleaning the valve and reusing it but why bother reinstalling a 30 year old $15 part.

Here is an example: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2685649

Viper, thanks for that info. I will check above suggestions. Will the tanks have one or two individual anti-siphone valves? Reason I ask is that the port engine runs perfect.

Thanks.

Ray

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 23rd, 2021, 11:35 am

If installed properly, each plant; engine and genny, will have their own separate/dedicated pickup and anti-siphon valve.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 23rd, 2021, 11:43 am

Roddono wrote:Source of the post Hello all. Would love some feedback on the following situation. My 1991 Carver 33’s Koehler genny will run all day long when the fuel selector switch is set to starboard fuel tank. If I select port fuel tank it will run for 20 minutes almost exactly. Both fuel tanks have about a half tank of new good fuel in them. Engines perfect. Am I missing something? Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Just to add to all the above good info.....can you take a pic of the selector switch with it in the position you know works and post it.....that may help the visual.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Roddono
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Roddono » January 23rd, 2021, 11:53 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post
Roddono wrote:Source of the post Hello all. Would love some feedback on the following situation. My 1991 Carver 33’s Koehler genny will run all day long when the fuel selector switch is set to starboard fuel tank. If I select port fuel tank it will run for 20 minutes almost exactly. Both fuel tanks have about a half tank of new good fuel in them. Engines perfect. Am I missing something? Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

Just to add to all the above good info.....can you take a pic of the selector switch with it in the position you know works and post it.....that may help the visual.

I will do that later today. Thank you.

Ray

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » January 23rd, 2021, 11:54 am

I had issues with my genset last year. Turned out I happened to have 2 separate problems. My repair guy determined my fuel pump was bad...replaced it and the engine would run, not good, but did run. After talking through our problems, we decided the anti siphon valve might be bad. Replaced it and all was good.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”