Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fresh Water Pump

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Mike11
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 350 Mariner

Fresh Water Pump

Postby Mike11 » February 23rd, 2021, 4:18 pm

This maybe a stupid question but asking anyway. I have a 97 Carver 350 Mariner. If I hook my hose up to the dock freshwater and connect the other end of the hose to my boat, do I need to use the water pump or does it automatically pressurize with hose attached to the dock water? What about water heater? Thanks for any advise.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Fresh Water Pump

Postby Viper » February 23rd, 2021, 5:27 pm

No such thing as stupid questions here! When you hook up to dockside, it pressurizes the whole water system except your tank. You leave your pump shut off. The water heater operation is the same whether you're running the pump or dockside water hookup.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » February 23rd, 2021, 5:29 pm

May I add, be safe. Disconnect the hose when you leave the boat. It can fill up pretty quickly if a line breaks.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 23rd, 2021, 5:44 pm

Considering this is the first time, I would check all the bilges after you connect to dockside water to double check there are no leaks at the start.....good luck with your boat.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » February 24th, 2021, 8:06 am

waybomb wrote:Source of the post May I add, be safe. Disconnect the hose when you leave the boat. It can fill up pretty quickly if a line breaks.

99% of the time I use my onboard system. I forget the exact amount but when full my tanks carry 92 gallons of water. More than enough for most of my uses. The few times I do connect to dockside water I too always turn off the water at the faucet whenever I leave the boat for any amount of time.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 24th, 2021, 11:18 am

We used to just use the onboard tank and periodically refill it, but every now and then get caught with less water in the tank than we though and have to run out and refill. After YEARS of doing it that way, I finally got a filter and connected the shore water directly, and for the last several years enjoyed that feature. It is another connection that has to be made on docking and unmade when leaving but the benefits in between made up for it. However, you do get a little sloppy with your water conservation skill which get honed when you're living tank-to-tank.

Our on-board pump is usually set to a higher pressure than our dock supply, so if we left the pump on while we had the shore connection hooked up we'd still drain the tank.

Sometimes having the extra pressure in the pump is valuable. A few times I'd connect the hose to the tank (to f supply it with water) while using the on-board pump for pressure. Sometimes in the peak of summer our dock pressure would be so low that washing the boat with weak pressure was a problem. Using the on-board pump to supply the hose pressure solved that.

Liechtenstein
chpsk8
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver Aft Cabin Motor Yacht... Hull #001

Postby chpsk8 » February 24th, 2021, 4:29 pm

I would also suggest bouncing between the shore water and the tank water. I've made the mistake of staying on shore water for a few weeks and the tank water doesn't get changed out. Then suddenly the tank water is funky and you don't notice it until you've left the dock and you're wondering why the sink smells like rotten eggs!
For sure the best advice is to shut off that shore water when you leave the boat. We had a dock neighbor sink his boat overnight. His bilge pump couldn't keep up with the leaking water system.

United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » February 24th, 2021, 6:07 pm

I most often use tank water in order to keep it moving.
When I travel and find myself at a transient dock I hook up to dockside water with an 'inline' water filter. As previously mentioned, shut off the power to your pump and the dock pressure takes care of the rest.
I too, shut off the water supply if we are going out for dinner, etc.
I also use the water filter when topping off the tanks.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... ecordNum=1

Topic author United States of America
Mike11
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 350 Mariner

Postby Mike11 » February 26th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Awesome advise from all. Thank you for the information. This group is awesome for new Carver owners learning the ins & outs of our boats. Much appreciated.

United States of America
JohnS
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2003 350 Mariner

Postby JohnS » March 7th, 2021, 4:50 pm

I use a quick connect fitting on my dock hose from Lowes, makes it quick and easy to disconnect when we leave.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”