Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New Member, looking for input on 380 Santego

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
seabigoh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: I'm shopping

New Member, looking for input on 380 Santego

Postby seabigoh » March 22nd, 2021, 10:16 am

I'm a new member, hi everyone. My wife and I are considering purchasing a '99 Carver 380 Santego with twin Cummins 330B engines (so 660 HP total). We're based in Seattle and will be using the boat for cruising throughout Puget Sound and as far north as the Broughtons. We've been shopping for about six months. We started out focused on '80s trawlers, but then decided we wanted to have something a bit newer, with better maintenance support, and a vessel that could get up and go when needed. However, we anticipate running more slowly (~8-12 knots) the large majority of our time on the water. We really like the layout and functionality of the 380 and it will fit into a 40' slip, which are much easier to find that anything larger.

So, what I am interested in hearing is input on how this 380 Santego will handle typical Puget Sound cruising conditions (meaning in decent weather). Will the boat ride reasonably well at slower speeds? How will it handle increasing wave and wind levels? What kind of conditions would you consider to be it's comfort limits? Is this a good hull/vessel for cruising in Puget Sound from Seattle through to Broughtons?

Thanks for your help!

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: New Member, looking for input on 380 Santego

Postby AaHubb » March 22nd, 2021, 10:24 am

Welcome to the board. I'm sure you would enjoy that boat but you should check the id plates on the engines. The 330 Cummins in my '99 404 are actually 210hp.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » March 22nd, 2021, 11:38 am

Please don’t run 8-12 knots. All you are doing is wasting a lot of fuel and kicking up a big wake which won’t make you any friends.
Either run at or below hull speed, around 7-8 knots or get up and go on full plane, probably 17-18 knots and above.

seabigoh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby seabigoh » March 22nd, 2021, 12:25 pm

Good comment, buster53. Yes, I should have said that I'd be cruising at hull speed the majority of the time, which should be around 8 knots as you said.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Postby ColRon » March 22nd, 2021, 1:12 pm

Welcome Aboard and good luck on your search. We love our Santego, but unfortunately I can’t help you with the area where you will be boating.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » March 23rd, 2021, 8:29 am

Santegos are very roomy boats hope you have many good times aboard yours.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 23rd, 2021, 12:23 pm

That Santego is a sweet boat. All kinds of room for comfort and guests. It is a planning hull, so a little flatter deadrise. I wouldn't call it "get up and go", but more like "ggeeeeeeeetttttt uuuppp & go. Top water rider, and feels like a Rolls Royce at hull speed in light wave action. Can get caught up in windy conditions in tight space. Would not want to go out in one of your Pineapple Express conditions. Great to sit at dock when that happens. If you want spec info on the engines, call 1-800-DIESEL with one of the engine serial numbers. That is Cummins and they will have more info than you need. The boat is actually 41'8" LOA. If you get into one of those picky marinas like mine ( absolutely no overhang out side of slip ) then 40' will be "off by just that much". I do not want to talk you out of a Carver, especially that Santego, but you may want to look at a Main Ship. They marry the trawler design and MY design pretty darn good. They will have more bite in 4 ft seas due to the bow design. Good luck. Let us know how the transaction goes. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

seabigoh
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby seabigoh » March 24th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Thanks for your comments, Cooler. I definitely will stay home when we get a storm brewing here. I'll follow up with Cummins on the specific engines, as you suggested, thanks for that tip!

United States of America
Jcamp
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 380

Postby Jcamp » July 8th, 2023, 2:45 pm

seabigoh, did you end up buying the diesel Santego ?

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » July 8th, 2023, 4:21 pm

Jcamp wrote:Source of the post seabigoh, did you end up buying the diesel Santego ?

Seabigoh hasn’t posted in almost 2-1/2 years. Doubt you will be hearing from him.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”