Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2000 506

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: In process of buying 2000 506 with Volvo TAMD 74s

2000 506

Postby Carpediem » April 15th, 2021, 10:56 pm

I am about to install a wireless remote helm control to the 506 drive and thruster system. I developed the system a few years ago for my Searay and installed and used it to single hand the boat as my wife is not comfortable handling the lines on the larger boats of late. I built and installed several of these systems on Cummins powered Sea Rays with electrically controlled drives and electric bow and stern thrusters. Installation on the Sea Rays was pretty simple and straight forward with the dual controls with separate drive levers so the remote receiver could be mounted adjacent the electronics locker and a short wire run to the controls harness. On the Single lever Volvo powered Carver 506 I have to parallel the drive control in the engine room and run a wire loom to the helm where the receiver will be mounted. I am wondering what the path is for the engine room wiring loom from the Helm to the Engine room. Are there any 506 owners here that have done any of their own work requiring wire runs from the helm to the engine room?
I have an owners manual for the boat but Carver's manuals suck compared to Sea Ray, My next stop will be to call Carver for specific drawings.
One I have the system installed and working Ill post if anyone is interested in one for their boat. It is similar to a Yacht Controller for a fraction of the cost.
CarpeDiem
Try to only boat where ducks don't walk

Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Re: 2000 506

Postby Carpediem » April 24th, 2021, 11:31 am

I began investigating the wire path yesterday. I removed the AC return panel on the bridge and found a wonderfully large crawl space /equipment bay that one could use as crew quarters in a pinch -the Good. In there is a 16000 BTU AC/Heat unit with a severely rusted pan and duct work that is just haphazardly installed - the Bad. I will need to completely redo the ducting and in doing so Ill have better access to the wiring harnesses- the UGLY!!! Rats nest wire bundles are my nemesis. A few good things though is the amount of space to work in there and there are three horizontal 3 inch conduits that are stacked on the outer bridge wall that provide excellent wire runs to a chase that drops through a utility bay in the salon and straight from there to the ER with extra pull strings already in place. Once I get the ducting tidied up It will be a cinch running the additional cable to the ER from the helm. Let the fun begin
IMG_2899.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » May 26th, 2021, 10:30 pm

Are there literally no 506 owners here on the forum? I was hoping to be able to reach those that run 506s to discuss various topics such as typical performance they see and also typical cruise speeds they run at. This boat has a wicked habit of drowning the swim platform at various power settings and speeds and it is a bit concerning. If there are any 506 folks out there please respond if you actually use your boat on the water. I get the impression that these boats are best used as floating condos. We love the boat for that but I'm already thinking of moving to a 530 or 570 as I think they would be far better suited to cruising.
Hope to here from someone

United States of America
rgmeads
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506 w/ QSM11's

Postby rgmeads » May 30th, 2021, 2:18 pm

I'm in the process of buying my 2001 506, and hope to close on her next week. Then I have to run her up to Marin from Long Beach, which hopefully is done by mid-June. Fell in love with the layout of this model Carver (especially the sun roof) and look forward to putting many hours on her cruising the Delta and coastal NorCal.

Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » June 1st, 2021, 12:31 am

Welcome Aboard and congrats on the purchase. Did you buy one of the 506s on Yacht World? We were going to go look at couple but the one in our marina in Benicia came to our attention and we made a great deal locally. Do you need a Skipper to help with your transit? If so we can recommend the folks that brought the one we bought up from New Port Beach in 2019. We just made our first cruise trip for the weekend in ours and are falling more in love with her every day. Hope to see you some time in Benicia. Funny, there are several Carvers here in the area but little to no participation on the forum,
Cheers

Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » June 1st, 2021, 1:28 am

Carpediem wrote:Source of the post I am about to install a wireless remote helm control to the 506 drive and thruster system. I developed the system a few years ago for my Searay and installed and used it to single hand the boat as my wife is not comfortable handling the lines on the larger boats of late. I built and installed several of these systems on Cummins powered Sea Rays with electrically controlled drives and electric bow and stern thrusters. Installation on the Sea Rays was pretty simple and straight forward with the dual controls with separate drive levers so the remote receiver could be mounted adjacent the electronics locker and a short wire run to the controls harness. On the Single lever Volvo powered Carver 506 I have to parallel the drive control in the engine room and run a wire loom to the helm where the receiver will be mounted. I am wondering what the path is for the engine room wiring loom from the Helm to the Engine room. Are there any 506 owners here that have done any of their own work requiring wire runs from the helm to the engine room?
I have an owners manual for the boat but Carver's manuals suck compared to Sea Ray, My next stop will be to call Carver for specific drawings.
One I have the system installed and working Ill post if anyone is interested in one for their boat. It is similar to a Yacht Controller for a fraction of the cost.
CarpeDiem

Update on the wireless remote- since the Volvo EDC system is an electronic system rather than a basic electric system, Ill need to find someone that is familiar with how these systems work and can help with the integration. IF there are any electronics engineers that are interested in getting involved with this project, PM me. The folks at Yacht Controller and Dock mate have figured it out and offer really nice products but they are way more expensive and exotic than they need to be to do what they need to do IMHO.

United States of America
bandersen55
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 506

Postby bandersen55 » June 8th, 2021, 1:12 pm

I recently purchased a 2002 506 and have had it out a couple of times. I'm at Lake Powell with an elevation of about 3,600 feet. I have the Cummins engines and am burning about 21 gallons per hour at 2,160 rpms with a speed of about 22 knots.

At this point I have more questions than answers but I'm enjoying the boat a lot. I do have a question for you however. I've attached a picture of 4 switches on my dash. I can read a couple of them but the others are a mystery. Can you read yours?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Carver 506
Lake Powell

Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » June 9th, 2021, 11:36 pm

I had those on my SeaRay 44DB with Cummins QSC 500 HDs
I think, from left to right,
1 Synchronizer This syncs the engines so that the starboard lever controls both engines.
2 This switch sets two different pre set cruise speeds
3 Low Idle speed switch slows idle to 450 or what ever you set it to for maneuvering
4 + - RPM , use this switch to raise or lower RPM when setting cruise rpm for your preset cruise switch settings.
I had my boat Sea Ray for 5 years and 350 hrs of operating and the only switches I used really was the sync switch and the low idle switch.
I built a wireless remote and always set the low idle when on the deck single handing the boat, U sure wish my 506 was Cummins powered, I am not a fan of the EDC controls on the Volvo TMAD 74s on my 2000 506.
PM me if you are interested in a wireless remote for your 506. I build them for a fraction of the cost of the Yacht Controller or Dock Mate.
Hope this helps
Carpe DIem

United States of America
bandersen55
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 506

Postby bandersen55 » June 11th, 2021, 12:22 pm

Thanks again for the information.
2002 Carver 506
Lake Powell

Carpediem
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Carpediem » August 23rd, 2021, 12:06 am

Carpediem wrote:Source of the post
Carpediem wrote:Source of the post I am about to install a wireless remote helm control to the 506 drive and thruster system. I developed the system a few years ago for my Searay and installed and used it to single hand the boat as my wife is not comfortable handling the lines on the larger boats of late. I built and installed several of these systems on Cummins powered Sea Rays with electrically controlled drives and electric bow and stern thrusters. Installation on the Sea Rays was pretty simple and straight forward with the dual controls with separate drive levers so the remote receiver could be mounted adjacent the electronics locker and a short wire run to the controls harness. On the Single lever Volvo powered Carver 506 I have to parallel the drive control in the engine room and run a wire loom to the helm where the receiver will be mounted. I am wondering what the path is for the engine room wiring loom from the Helm to the Engine room. Are there any 506 owners here that have done any of their own work requiring wire runs from the helm to the engine room?
CarpeDiem

Update on the wireless remote- since the Volvo EDC system is an electronic system rather than a basic electric system, Ill need to find someone that is familiar with how these systems work and can help with the integration. IF there are any electronics engineers that are interested in getting involved with this project, PM me. The folks at Yacht Controller and Dock mate have figured it out and offer really nice products but they are way more expensive and exotic than they need to be to do what they need to do IMHO.

I finally figured out the work around and have a working wireless remote system installed. I ended up installing a relay to switch the EDM circuit to a set of dummy chokes that simulate the drive shift solenoids, the other side of the relay connects the solenoids to my wireless remote system. I now have full control of the boat from anywhere on the deck so that I can dock the boat with out having to have my wife stress over line handling.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”