Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Weird Control Console Question

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Mungo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 27'

Weird Control Console Question

Postby Mungo » April 16th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Just. . . and I do mean Just. . .acquired an 88 Santego 27. It's in great shape, but the control console has bleached out totally, leaving me facing a bank of switches and guages with no idea at all what they're supposed to do. We've done a good deal of switch flipping and trying to see what happens, but that strikes me as somewhat ill-advised. Does anyone have a console map for this vessel? The owner's manual (original) oddly doesn't appear to have one. I guess they just figured you'd read the labels. . . .which are now blank.

Anyone?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Weird Control Console Question

Postby km1125 » April 16th, 2021, 4:47 pm

I looked these up for someone else who had a similar issue. Not sure that they exactly match your boat, but might give you some clues:

Santego_2767_helm1.jpg

Santego_2767_helm2.jpg

Santego_2767_helm3.jpg

Santego_2767_helm4.jpg

Santego_2767_helm5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mungo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Mungo » April 16th, 2021, 5:39 pm

Sadly, not exactly, but many thanks. I may be able to get some idea from these.

m

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 17th, 2021, 10:44 am

Post some pics of your panels and it might be easier to match it up to something else. Last time I did this, I just searched a bunch of 'for sale' boat ads and posts on youtube for similar models. Not a lot of folks take close enough pics to actual read the words, but some do, like in the case I posted.

Mungo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Mungo » April 18th, 2021, 12:20 pm

whatwashere.jpg
Well here are some iffy shots of the places in question. I think most of the switches on the Port console side are for sound system stuff. The last owner was really big on that. On the Stbd side, the upper right switch is for the bilge. The rest is an enigma. Any idea? I'm also including a place in the engine compartment ahead of the the port engine where something. . .um. . . was. Not sure what? Two tube fittings and some wires.
stbdconsole.jpg
stbdconsole.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tml1093
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1990 Carver 3807

Postby tml1093 » April 18th, 2021, 12:31 pm

I am searching for information on my boat also. The carver website suggests contacting a local dealer with the hull number and they might be able to help. I will be contacting them with my questions.

I am hopeful for success.

Mungo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Mungo » April 18th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Let us know what you find. Bon chance.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 18th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Are they all just two-position switches (off-on) and are any momentary? What sizes are the fuses that go with each switch?

A momentary with with center off but where you can push to one side or the other, is used for dual gas tanks
A non-momentary with center off would be used for a voltmeter to select which battery (1 or 2)
A non-momentary three position switch would be used for navigation and anchor lights (anchor, off, nav)

For fuses, a 20 amp fuse likely indicates blowers, a 10 amp is likely bilge pump and a 5 would be appropriate for lights

The colored wiring you show in the engine compartment looks like trim tab wiring... similar colors and it's twisted like shown towards the left side of that pic. I'd bet those go to the trim tab pushbuttons under the starboard panel.

If you lift the panels and make note of the colors of the wires connected to each switch, that also could help narrow it down.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 18th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Before you go to far, I can see from the one pic you have mercury 3.7 liter 4 cylinder engines. Make sure they run good before you put a lot of time and money into anything else.
Repowering the boat will more than likely cost more than the boats value.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 19th, 2021, 7:19 am

I agree with km, the wires are for the trim tab system. They're cut there because that's where the trim tab pump was mounted. You can see on the wooden bracket under the wiring and where the lines go to that there is a plastic bracket mounted to it which is the assembly the pump slides into.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”