Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1996 Santego 38 - Identification?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
RixGutz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver Santego 38 (I think)

1996 Santego 38 - Identification?

Postby RixGutz » July 5th, 2021, 1:25 pm

Hello - my brother-in-law's dad just bought what he described as a '96 Santego 38. He is very experienced in sailing vessels (over 20 years) and decided to buy a more comfortable boat to go to Catalina (still needs to find a slip - right now in Long Beach). I'm a complete noob but in the planning/dreaming stages of getting a Nordhavn 55. So I've been consuming large amounts of information over the past several years on all things boating.

I'll be helping him as much as I can since he is a great guy who asked me for some help, and I want to also have hands-on ANY boat - so this is a great win-win. I am planning on heading down there this week but wanted to get some preliminary research so that I can know where to start. While looking at the manuals page, there is no Santego 38 listed for '96. Can anyone suggest a manual that I should download or a better way of identifying it? I'll probably have a better way of doing it once I'm there, but would be nice to start looking at some info before I get down there (I love manuals).

My goal/approach to helping him will be to focus on the following (in order):

1 - Propulsion - if I understand it correctly, fuel pumps are being replaced as part of the sale (gas powered Crusaders). Parts had to come from Germany and mechanic is either doing it currently or will be doing it soon. This was part of the survey items that were identified. Will take a look at what else the survey says as soon as I can. Once I download manual then I can hopefully identify engine components and possible inspection points.

2 - Safety - Inventory safety components (and condition) and create list of items needed (EPIRB, AIS, Nav, Radar, PFDs, Ditch bag, etc.)

3 - Plumbing - Take a look at how gray water/black water is routed and see condition. I'm a big proponent of the thought of replacing all hoses, but will defer to any comments here (reality of access, ease, cost, etc.)

4 - Comfort - Inventory all mechanical systems related to environmental and energy. I know it has a generator, but no info yet on what it powers, how it powers it, what sort of battery system it has and what it does. Hence the need to read manuals ;) Additionally, create list of items to upgrade/change including all LED's, etc.

5 - Docking/Anchoring - inspect all lines, rodes and mechanical systems related to docking/anchoring. Likely get new chain.

6 - Training - He already agreed that hiring a training captain for a day or two on boat handling will be money well spent. I've also been looking at Power Squadron classes and will sign up for a few as I was planning to anyway.

I am not sure of the condition of the boat. The fact is the previous owner did not really keep it in tip-top shape, so I am anticipating a lot of work needed to get it into safe/trustworthy condition.

Any feedback much appreciated! Cheers!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1996 Santego 38 - Identification?

Postby bud37 » July 5th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Welcome.....have a look at this, it is for a 95 ......perhaps it is a 3467....double check.

https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... ego-se.pdf
Last edited by bud37 on July 5th, 2021, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » July 5th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Here is a link to the spec sheet. https://carveryachts.blob.core.windows. ... -se_96.pdf

Check the last 2 numbers on the hull I.D. number. Those last two disclose the year of the vessel. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 5th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Definitely recommend the Power Squadron's course(s)!! They are longer than the "safety" courses a lot of places have but you will get a LOT more info. Some of them you can just take online too, but it also helps to get associated with some of the local Power Squadron folks. Around here they always have some kind of cool event at least once a year that's fun to attend.

Not sure the manual are going to be a huge help, given the age of the vessel, as many things can be changed by a previous owner. Probably a good idea to peruse them, but don't take them as gospel. "Trust, but verify" might be good advice here.

The genset should power all of the A.C. devices on board, and usually there's an automatic transfer that happens when the generator is running. But again, that would need to be verified to make sure it's working correctly and that it does indeed power all the devices. Battery configurations are particularly tricky as folks frequently add battery capacity over what was originally configured from the factory. Definitely something that needs to be ferreted out right on the boat.

Looks like they made a 38 Santego until about 2002...

Carver_Santego_38.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 5th, 2021, 6:15 pm

Welcome aboard.

Your list is a good one. I would add this though; unless you have proof from the previous owner of when they were last done, replace all fluids in the engines, transmissions, and generator, as well as the impellers. You should also replace the fuel filters. The list can be extensive here but to ensure you don't have any trouble out on the water, I'd ensure the engines are running properly, this involves servicing the items mentioned above as well as replacing the ignition components and doing an overall visual of engine hoses, belts, wiring, etc.

Think safety first and remember you're dealing with gasoline fumes which are explosive, so ventilate, and no sparks allowed in the engine compartment. If you're replacing any electrical components in the engine bay, you must ensure they're ignition proof and rated for a marine application.

If you're not sure, ask us, that's why we're here! :down:

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 6th, 2021, 9:20 am

Welcome Aboard.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author United States of America
RixGutz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver Santego 38 (I think)

Postby RixGutz » July 6th, 2021, 11:10 am

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

Halfway through the manual, but it is very rudimentary. Is there anything that will show graphically where/how many through hulls and what types of sea cocks? Where everything is located on the boat (electrical panels, gray/black water tanks, etc.)? Or are there so many variants that you need to find them on your onw?

Also - is there a good place to find a manual for all the systems/engines or will that be something that I get myself once I inventory the models once I'm at the boat?

Starting to make the checklist of maintenance procedures and items to inspect, so plan is to do them all now - good way to learn where everything is, it's current condition and make updates/change out as necessary.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 6th, 2021, 11:50 am

When you get to the boat, take pictures of all the ID info on the big hardware. Motors, transmissions, generator, etc. There's usually a good tag on there somewhere with the exact model number and serial number. Those will be very helpful down the line. If you can't find the actual tag, then take a picture of the whole unit and some folks might be able to ID the model and give you more clues on where to find the tag.

A lot of manuals are available online if you search thoroughly enough.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » July 7th, 2021, 6:39 am

RixGutz wrote:Source of the post

1 - Propulsion - if I understand it correctly, fuel pumps are being replaced as part of the sale (gas powered Crusaders). Parts had to come from Germany and mechanic is either doing it currently or will be doing it soon. This was part of the survey items that were identified. Will take a look at what else the survey says as soon as I can. Once I download manual then I can hopefully identify engine components and possible inspection points.
!

Hello and welcome .. fuel pump from Germany? That was the only place to source this? Seems strange ?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 7th, 2021, 6:58 am

I agree. Seems odd to me that they couldn't find that in North America. Having said that, it seems everything is on backorder these days :banghead:

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”