Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

engine compartment heater

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author
makrouse
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 my Mariner 350

engine compartment heater

Postby makrouse » December 5th, 2013, 2:01 am

Here in N Texas we are having a 5 day typical north pole comes in once or twice a winter event. My 2000 Mariner 350 has engine compartment heater on the panel. Question is whether to turn this on when I will not be able to get to the boat for 2 or 3 days.
TXS mkrouse

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: engine compartment heater

Postby AaHubb » December 5th, 2013, 11:18 am

Well it depends. If the boat is in ice free water and the temps get above freezing during the day you are not likely to have any problems. That being said, which is cheaper, running a heater or replacing a cracked block. I use a small heater plugged into a thermocube set to come on at ~35f and turn off at ~ 42f. One precaution I take is to cover the outside air vents to the engine room.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

jimcnelson
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver 356

Postby jimcnelson » December 5th, 2013, 8:38 pm

I like the idea of using a thermocube for the heater but don't have one yet. This week has been really cold for Portland (and it's my first season with the boat) so I've had two of the oil radiant heaters running on low since last Saturday. I'm headed down to the boat tonight to see how it's holding up and make adjustments if needed.

Aaron, what do you use to cover the vents?
1999 Carver 356
Portland, OR

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » December 6th, 2013, 11:12 am

I made my covers out of outdoor rated plywood trimmed to fit within the louver recess. They are held in place with I bolts and bungee cords passed behind the louvers. I paid a visit to my boat yesterday and the eng rm was a toasty 41f even though our daytime temps have remained below freezing for several days.
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

avtech001
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 506
Twin Cummings QSM-11 640 HP

Postby avtech001 » October 5th, 2014, 6:18 pm

Texas,
CalI live here in Music City USA, we probably have colder winters then you guy's on an average. My personal thoughts are "It's better to be safe then sorry "
I had a 2001 Mariner 350 that I put a lot love and money into , including 2 extreme engine room heaters. You may get lucky and just bust the freeze plugs then again if you cannot get to the boat easy, I'd spend the extra money on the electric to have peace of mind while I was gone.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”