Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Gotta love amature hour installations!

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Gotta love amature hour installations!

Postby Carpe Diem » September 6th, 2021, 11:54 am

I am replacing my Davit with a Presto Marine XL500 hydraulic lift so in preparing for the install I removed my current davit. Access to the the hardware is thru the 4 access holes on the platform deck. When I opened the covers I discovered really poor craftsmanship in the attempt seal the cellulose core. The installer simply smeared silicone sealant around the edge which of course did little to seal over time. They did not seal the actual frame of the access hole so water just seeped in.
As a result I have quite a bit of rotten core to remove. As far as can tell, the damage is limited to an inch or so in from the cuts, the core is just soaked so over the next few 90 plus days I will leave all the holes open and see if it will dry out enough for me to dig out the bad core and replace with reinforced filler to seal. I can detect little or no soft areas on the deck so I am not planning to tear up the deck. there were two Weaver Snap Davit plates still installed and I found that there was no sealant nor even nuts on the bolts!
IMG_3497.jpg
IMG_3495.jpg
IMG_3492.jpg
IMG_3491.jpg
IMG_3490.jpg
IMG_3489.jpg
IMG_3488 (1).jpg
IMG_3500.jpg

Word to the wise, before you hire modifications done to your boat that is near of under the water line, make sure you get specifics on what the plan is to seal the area. There are a lot "mechanics" out there that either have no clue or just don't give a damn about their work. This is why I NEVER let anyone touch my boat. I am blessed with the background and experience to do my own work and I know that not everyone is. I feel so bad for those who are held hostage and have to rely on the "professionals" to do the job right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Gotta love armature hour installations!

Postby g36 » September 6th, 2021, 12:26 pm

That's a shame. It appears you have have the oem carver dock box also. Looks the same as my 405. Theres has been lots of issues with these boxes and this also allowing water intrusion. I was lucky my boat has lived in a covered slip but still had some rot to deal with. I would strongly suggest (did I say strongly?) Remove and inspect and/or reseal with epoxy or your method of choice. Carver did not seal the mounting holes where it is mounted to the deck. I found no sealant. If it is the box I think it is. It's 2 pieces you will have the inner liner that is caulked in to remove. Once removed you can then access the mounting hardware and inspect the deck there also and repair or reseal. Better to know what's going on especially now that you are already working in the area.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carpe Diem » September 6th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Thanks g36, I will heed the advice!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 6th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Source of the post ....I feel so bad for those who are held hostage and have to rely on the "professionals" to do the job right.
I feel for you but we shouldn't paint everyone in the industry with the same brush. A "professional" wouldn't do it that way! A "professional" would have removed the core around the cutouts and filled the voids with thickened epoxy.

Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carpe Diem » September 6th, 2021, 9:39 pm

That is why the Professionals is in quotes, I know that most of the professionals out there will do the right thing, I feel for the customers that get screwed by those that don't. I spent my life as a professional aircraft mechanic that ran my own shop and saw many repairs to aircraft over the years that were well below standards. I was embarrassed as a member of the community that there were those among us that would do such poor work but charge big money for it because the owner had no clue as to what was being done.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 6th, 2021, 9:44 pm

I agree with you there for sure. I'll be the first to admit that some marine techs shouldn't be in the business of fixing anything, and they give the rest of us a bad rap.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 7th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Unfortunately very common....too bad really when you consider the cost of these assets.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carpe Diem » September 7th, 2021, 11:17 pm

Well the good news is after sitting open for three days in the arid California air, the core is completely dried out, probably since at the moment the platform looks like swiss cheese due to so many mounting bolt holes that will be abandoned. Now I will countersink the holes, fill with Dyna Glass filler, hog out the affected core and fill that area as well. Ill let it sit for a few more days for insurance.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 8th, 2021, 5:09 pm

If you do pull the dock box i be curious to know how the mounting holes look.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Carpe Diem
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Carpe Diem » September 10th, 2021, 5:00 pm

g36 wrote:Source of the post If you do pull the dock box i be curious to know how the mounting holes look.

I started looking at that project and an not too excited about it. They used a lot of caulk on that! I an very curious though about the sealing if the mounting holes. I would think that with no skimping on the rest of the caulk how could there be no sealant on the mounting hardware? Oh yeah, it is Carver we are talking about! Since they are out of business I don't mind ribbing about the goofy things I run across. Please, as fellow owners, don't take it personally. It is in no way meant to denigrate those that own and enjoy their boats. I just have a pet peeve about crappy workmanship found in American made products when we were raised in a era that touted "Buy American" and that good ole American quality is number one!

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”