Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Boat cradle for 390cpmy

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Georgeviking
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 390 cpmy
1978 32’ Uniflite sport sedan
1968 31’ ulrichsun
1968 31’ broad water
1977 19’ checkmate
1975 17’ west wind.

Boat cradle for 390cpmy

Postby Georgeviking » October 19th, 2021, 7:53 pm

So my owners manual on the 1995 mentions carver made a cradle for storage on the hard. I’m not to thrilled with how the current marina has her so went looking for such a cradle but found none.
Has anyone built there own or have photos of carvers on them? I googled cradles and see most look hand built any suggestions on a build? Like the idea of making sure supports will be under bulkheads. May not be a happy camper storing it over the summer but will feel warmer in the winter…

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Boat cradle for 390cpmy

Postby bud37 » October 19th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Hmmmm...I had the factory shipping cradle for an 83 28 Mariner way back when we were at a self help club.......we lifted, blocked ,stored all the boats both power and sail.........rebuilt the cradle and stored the boat on that cradle for a few winters.

So the storage was ok, but the cradle weighed lots....required a machine to move it around and summer storage was a problem. We ended up cutting it up and going to wood blocking and jack stands.....much easier and overall better....well that is what we found anyway.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 20th, 2021, 7:06 am

If it's done right, there's nothing wrong with blocking. The weight is on the keel which is designed to carry the weight, and the stands or side supports are just there to prevent rolling. Those supports can be wood but I prefer jack stands because they can be adjusted as the ground moves in the winter. The blocking under the keel doesn't have to be at bulkhead locations as long as the there is good weight distribution, and that really only requires a few sets of blocking depending on the length of the vessel, the entire keel doesn't have to be supported. It takes some forethought but blocking is perfectly acceptable.

Netherlands
Sailor Robbert
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 390 CPMY 1993 with 250 HP
Cummins Diesel

Postby Sailor Robbert » October 22nd, 2021, 8:22 am

Hello Georgeviking,
I have the same boat as you 390 CPMY and bought it in 2018, the next year in 2019 I took her out of the water for maintenance. The crane set her on the cradle and damaged my rear keel due to the weight. So we ended up to set her down with 2 supports on the rear flat bottom. with the front keel resting on the cradle. I was lucky that it was the responsibility of the harbour , so the repair costs was for them.
Now every year when we come out of the water we use the rear supports. See Pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem :pirate: :captain: ;-)

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 22nd, 2021, 11:48 am

Sailor Robbert wrote:Source of the post Hello Georgeviking,
I have the same boat as you 390 CPMY and bought it in 2018, the next year in 2019 I took her out of the water for maintenance. The crane set her on the cradle and damaged my rear keel due to the weight. So we ended up to set her down with 2 supports on the rear flat bottom. with the front keel resting on the cradle. I was lucky that it was the responsibility of the harbour , so the repair costs was for them.
Now every year when we come out of the water we use the rear supports. See Pics

I had a similar thing with my 3607. I had owned it for over 10 years and never had an issue. Several different marinas blocked it up using mostly the keel but stands on the sides like Viper said. One year when I removed all the bottom paint, I inadvertently was tapping on the keel and realized the last 2' or so of the keel was HOLLOW, the rest was solid (well, maybe not solid all the way though, but obviously thick and strong). From then on I warned the yards not to block on the last 2' of the keel. Whadda ya know, about three years later some knucklehead didn't read the written warnings on the work order and put blocks under that area and crushed a chunk. Their fiberglass shop did a great job on restoration but it was really an unnecessary job if the guy would have just read the warning!!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 22nd, 2021, 4:54 pm

Guy beside me one year had some bleeding from the keel after his boat was pulled for the fall....turned out it was foam filled, it took them a while to open up and dry it out.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Netherlands
Sailor Robbert
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Cummins Diesel

Postby Sailor Robbert » October 24th, 2021, 7:46 am

Thanks KM1125
For me too it was the last 2 feet at the rear. You can see on the first picture where they started to repair the keel. It took a full week for that fiberglass repairman to finish the job.. I'm afraid now to put it on the keel so I use the stands at the back.

Georgeviking
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
1968 31’ ulrichsun
1968 31’ broad water
1977 19’ checkmate
1975 17’ west wind.

Postby Georgeviking » November 8th, 2021, 12:13 pm

I will have to watch the back end of the keel for sure ….yard I went to had her on one block with wood
At the aft one near front and one further back,,,,I always went with one block every ten feet of boat
Was told by marina it’s overkill only three blocks and three stands ,,,,,two days later boat was listing
Marina lifted her up straight ,,,I go down to see and stern is off to one side of blocking and bow is off to other side,,,show yard foreman ,,,blames it on the help ( he was operating machine ) said he would fix it,,,,for some reason front block was moved back about 18” ground was about three inches lower and center block crushed my keel,,,boat raised again set down with longer wood in middle and a bit farther back yard foreman pokes at damage and says your keel is soft while poking the crushed fiberglass that mind you is dry as a bone…..waiting to hear from yard owner on this one,,,,oh and originally no plywood under anything after boat listed the plywood one side of stands last move one stand is half off plywood
Maybe I’m just to picky,,,

Netherlands
Sailor Robbert
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Cummins Diesel

Postby Sailor Robbert » November 11th, 2021, 4:17 am

You are never picky, if it comes to your boat. And sometimes being picky can save you a lot of money. :-D

Georgeviking
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
1968 31’ ulrichsun
1968 31’ broad water
1977 19’ checkmate
1975 17’ west wind.

Postby Georgeviking » November 24th, 2021, 8:55 pm

Just a follow up first thanks for the photos Robbert I may be going that route next year,,,,yard blocks boat three days later boat is listing to one side,,,,,yard lifts boat and straightens her out, go to check and rear of boat is close to edge of block front is close to other edge,,,yard says they will center the boat. Come back and front block was moved rearward about 18” ground was a few inches lower center block has crushed the keel yard foreman is trying to tell me keel had a hollow spot that they must have put the block under it he then taps above the damage and says hear how hollow that sounds???? Are you kidding me when did damaged fiberglass ever sound solid anyway every time they blocked it I took pictures and clearly see center block was always in same spot..Marina owner telling me same hollow story but since they blocked it he will have ( his fiberglass guy repair it at no cost to me ) but insists boat is blocked properly. While I’ve done quite a bit of glass work I’ve never done a keel but figure curve out the damage and start laminating 1708 in strips till it’s filled in, just can’t trust any work they offer…..not going to get into the shrink wrap
3AFDFF43-8879-4DEE-8429-58DD56A8DE11.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”