Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 444 Stern Thruster Picture

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
recenv
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 444, Cummins 370hp - 6BTA

Carver 444 Stern Thruster Picture

Postby recenv » January 2nd, 2022, 3:55 pm

I have a 2001, Carver 444 and I am going to be adding bow and stern thrusters. Does anyone have pictures of their existing stern thruster either through the back hatch or on the hard. I am very confident that I know exactly where to install it but I wanted to see a picture of one already installed to double check.
Thanks

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Carver 444 Stern Thruster Picture

Postby Tireless » January 2nd, 2022, 5:13 pm

I have been looking into a stern thruster for my 2006 44 CMY. The shape of the hull under the cockpit makes it extremely difficult to install the Side Power tunnel on it. It may cause significant drag while on plane and it does not have a flat hull surface to mount it to. I abandoned my search for a stern thruster on my boat for this reason. I have not come across a boat like ours that has a stern thruster for this reason.

Our model of boat does not have a transom per say as the hull transitions up for the chine, above the drain plug, to and under the cockpit and it is “V” shaped. See attached picture of a hull on a 44 CMY.

Would love to see a picture of one installed if it is out there, so I will follow this post.

I spoke to a 44 CMY owner in B.C. who had a Side Shift installed on a boat that he just purchased. He was not happy with it as it was extremely under powered for this boat and his plan was to remove it. His only option may have been to install two, which I have seen mentioned on the forum. This would be double the cost and would turn out to be very expensive.

You mentioned that you know how you would install it. I would be interested in hearing what you would do.

I currently have a QL bow thruster. If I were to install a new/replacement I would go with the Side Power. It is a thru hull mounted unit. I would have preferred that to the bow/keel mounted unit by side shift, however, these are great for the DYI install.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tireless on January 3rd, 2022, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 466 Aft Cabin MY

Postby wkeith » January 3rd, 2022, 9:09 am

Hi there!
Recently hauled out to paint bottom and add underwater lights.
Thruster in view!
Walter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby wkeith » January 3rd, 2022, 9:13 am

Hi there!
Recently hauled out to paint bottom and install underwater lights.
My factory installed thruster in view.
Walter

recenv
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby recenv » January 3rd, 2022, 6:44 pm

Thanks Walter, but the Carver 466 has a significantly different bottom than the 444.
How do you like your new lights?

United States of America
wkeith
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby wkeith » January 4th, 2022, 9:12 am

Love the lights! You can even see them in the daytime. From Amazon about $200 each.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » January 5th, 2022, 6:48 pm

Recenv;

I came across a Carver 444 CMY that was listed for sale on Yachtworld and noticed it has stern and bow thrusters.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » January 5th, 2022, 6:48 pm

Recenv;

I came across a Carver 444 CMY that was listed for sale on Yachtworld and noticed it has stern and bow thrusters. The listing was here in Canada. I contacted the listing broker and he was kind enough to take some pictures of the thruster, both internal and external, and send them to me. I have found them to be extremely helpful for my needs.

The unit is a Side Power and would be the way I would go. It is also installed in a place that would not be impacted by the boat when it is on plane. You will need a good fibre glass guy to create the base on hull where the tunnel is secured.

You can also see where the motor is located between the stringers, with easy access from under the cockpit. Lots of room for the batteries as well.

I hope this helps you as much as it does me. :beergood:

Greg
Last edited by Tireless on January 5th, 2022, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

recenv
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby recenv » January 9th, 2022, 7:18 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate it. This is exactly where I was going to place it. I knew, that I had to have someone create a flat base for the stern tunnel. With the interior placement set, I just wasn't 100% sure where is was going to pop out in the exterior.
By the way, I am using the new brushless Vetus BOWB thrusters. They are much quitter and more efficient and they have a built in 12V to 24V up charger, so you can use the 12 engine generator to charge the 24V bank.
Good Luck and let me know if I can be any help.
Bruce :worthy:

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » January 10th, 2022, 4:08 pm

Bruce;

Thank you for the feedback. I will check out the Vetus system. I would love to see pics of the results of your efforts. Big project.

Greg

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”