Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 444 Stern Thruster Picture

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

United States of America
Cooldogz
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Carver 444 Stern Thruster Picture

Postby Cooldogz » February 27th, 2022, 2:49 pm

I don’t know if you have all you need since this is over one month old, but here are some 444 pics installed. Sidepower. If I had to do it over, I would upgrade to the ignition protected version. The lazarette stay pretty wet and it has caused a lot of rusting on the Internal parts. Apparently this is solved with the ignition protected version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » February 27th, 2022, 3:45 pm

Interesting location for the thruster. I assume that it is not in the water while on plane. This location means less fibreglass work and could be a DYI due to the flat mounting service.

Could you advise if there is resistance on the thruster while on plane? I assume that if there was it could pull away from the mounting.

Could you explain this following comment to me and would the rust still be an issue with a fresh water application?

“The lazarette stay pretty wet and it has caused a lot of rusting on the Internal parts. Apparently this is solved with the ignition protected version.”

Greg

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 27th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Tireless wrote:Source of the post.....Could you explain this following comment to me and would the rust still be an issue with a fresh water application?

“The lazarette stay pretty wet and it has caused a lot of rusting on the Internal parts. Apparently this is solved with the ignition protected version.”

Greg
It's really going to depend on the conditions in your bilge back there Greg. it wouldn't be much different than a bow thruster install. If you ever get any water in that area, the components will rust even in a fresh water app. The ignition proof unit comes with a sealed housing encasing the entire unit. The housing consists of two halves bolted together that can be taken apart to service the thruster.

Canada
PhotoHog
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver 444 Extended Salon (purchased late 2021)
Cummins 370s
Freshwater - for now.

Postby PhotoHog » April 21st, 2022, 10:10 am

I am having a SideShifter rear thruster installed on my new to me 444 next week.

I will post photos when it is done.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”