Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

muskrat guards

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author Canada
winedown
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 396 Carver motor yacht

muskrat guards

Postby winedown » March 18th, 2022, 10:44 am

I was wondering if anyone knows where we can get muskrat guards for a 2004 396 carver MY..Thx

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Re: muskrat guards

Postby tgebler » March 18th, 2022, 11:43 am

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 18th, 2022, 1:22 pm

winedown wrote:Source of the post I was wondering if anyone knows where we can get muskrat guards for a 2004 396 carver MY..Thx

If you asking because they have already been in your exhausts then you will have to check the exhaust system internally even after you get the guard.....they chew from the inside out and can be almost thru before they get distracted and leave. They sink many boats a year.

Ask your marina if there is a local guy that makes them ( usually is ). If you are handy you can make some nice ones from 1/2"-3/4" mesh ( can't remember now) welded or unwelded stainless screening.....usually around .100" gage and up. I made some, the local metal fabrication shop had some polished mesh for a custom backsplash, leftovers......epoxied them in and all good.

I may still have pics of them if that is something you wish to try.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Polestar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 445 aft cabin, twin engine diesel

Postby Polestar » March 18th, 2022, 7:17 pm

I made up a set for my Carver 445 last spring. I bought some stainless steel welded wire mesh online and cut it to fit and then used thickened epoxy to hold it in place. Cut "legs" of the steel mesh to an "L" shape around the perimeter to have something to adhere to. Painted it black to match the existing trim. A little messy because I was in a hurry and didn't wipe off all the excess epoxy from the grid and didn't sand smooth the edges, but it works great.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=5563
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author Canada
winedown
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 396 Carver motor yacht

Postby winedown » March 19th, 2022, 9:56 am

Thanks for the suggestions..We have had two sets of the Hurley Marine guards with the adjustable screws but have lost two guards (at different times)..The last time the stainless steel exhaust pipe went as well... So thinking epoxying a screen in may be a better solution..

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 19th, 2022, 10:07 am

winedown wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the suggestions..We have had two sets of the Hurley Marine guards with the adjustable screws but have lost two guards (at different times)..The last time the stainless steel exhaust pipe went as well... So thinking epoxying a screen in may be a better solution..

Yes that is why I didn't like those Hurley guards, there was something about the design......mine were almost identical to Polestars pic....if you fit them right, ( just make a cardboard template), they fit tight and the epoxy will hold them there without distorting the shape of the exhaust outlet fitting.......good luck man..
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Polestar
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 445 aft cabin, twin engine diesel

Postby Polestar » March 19th, 2022, 10:16 pm

I also made mine using the cardboard template method to rough cut the wire mesh and then I fine tuned it from there. Once you get the thickened epoxy to start setting everything is held in place firmly. I checked mine at the end of summer and they were still the same as when I put them in four months earlier.

Canada
Bakoboat
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 456 carver 2000

Postby Bakoboat » June 17th, 2022, 7:24 am

Thanks for the advice, new owner to 2000 456 and these are top of my to do list. Was thinking I could make these and install successfully, glad to hear this was the route of others.

What is a good brand of epoxy to use?
Thanks
Mb

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 17th, 2022, 8:42 am

Bakoboat wrote:Source of the post What is a good brand of epoxy to use?

I just used jb weld, the two part little tubes.....clean the area real good and maybe a light sand to rough it up for the epoxy to grab.....it really just holds the screens from popping out if you fit the screens tight.

Yup Midland has the furry little devils, that is for sure... FYI....I got my polished stainless mesh from Georgian bay metals in Penetang, ........good luck.

Canada
CarverToni
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 396

Postby CarverToni » February 27th, 2024, 9:00 pm

I know this is an old post but thank you for the helpful info! We will be doing this as our marina wanted to charge us over $2000 to install two guards.. I thought that price was out to lunch haha! Thanks again everyone. Mesh and epoxy it is.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”