Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1979 Carver 25 Inspection/Opinions

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
diogee2
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Almost, not yet 1979 Santa Cruz 25.

1979 Carver 25 Inspection/Opinions

Postby diogee2 » April 3rd, 2022, 1:17 pm

Greetings, New member with my first post. I am currently looking at a restored 79 Carver 25 and am looking for opinions, trouble spots, gotchas before I get an inspection done. The boat- restored about 10 years ago, bridge modified (slightly heightened/lengthened to accommodate taller folk. The bottom was sanded down and then barrier coated and covered semiannually with antifouling, the rest of the boat above the water line was re-shot with interlux and appears to be in great shape with new nonskid as well. The interior bilge areas were protected/painted with a thick protective paint. Motor was rebulit 400 hours ago and has the original 350 w/volvo penta outdrive. There has been a fair amount of re-wiring done as well as new steel railings installed. I have included pictures for perspective and will be test driving it over the coming weeks. Comes with a very good custom triple axel trailer as well. Just looking for thoughts from anyone with any experience with this model. I have read some other posts about the difference between 6/7 and coring above and below the waterline but am not sure about this model or where to look since it is advertised and listed as just a 25 (not 256/257). Thanks for any and all assistance ahead of time, much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: 1979 Carver 25 Inspection/Opinions

Postby tomschauer » April 3rd, 2022, 8:54 pm

I am pretty certain that a '79 will have wood coring throughout and wood stringers. Not a problem if they stated dry all these years, but definitely get them checked out as almost any repair would eclipse the value of the boat.

diogee2
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby diogee2 » April 4th, 2022, 10:54 pm

Definitely will get them inspected before hand. Trying to figure out if 79s used the 256/257 titles and if the coring goes all of the way to the keel or if it stopped at the water line. I have seen some pre-79s using the 6/7. I can't tell by looking at it from the bilge due to it having a pretty heavy coat of paint.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 5th, 2022, 9:06 am

RE: " if 79s used the 256/257 titles"... what does that mean?

diogee2
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby diogee2 » April 5th, 2022, 10:53 am

I had read something on this page and again on a Carver fb site about the last number 6/7 referring to the hull being cored from rub rail to the waterline vs the keel. This was until mid 90s when they went full fiberglass. Just something I read here while trying to gather data, if not true let me know and i can amend my posts. Wasn't sure of that was actually a thing and if so how far back that went.

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby plittle2005 » April 13th, 2022, 11:45 pm

I owned a '77 for 33 years. The hull is cored all the way to the keel. Just have the bottom and stringers surveyed very carefully, likely they will be fine unless the boat ran aground and scraped off the glass to open up the core. Hammer test will tell you.

One great little boat!

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”