Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1991 Carver Montego 525??

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
cropduster
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 525 Montego

1991 Carver Montego 525??

Postby cropduster » May 2nd, 2022, 5:54 pm

Hello everyone, I have an opportunity to buy a 1991 carver Montego 525. It has some mechanical issues but that's of no concern to me. Has a 5.7 Merc that most likely needs a rebuild. I am totally new to the boating world and this would be my first boat purchase should I pursue it.
Wondering if anyone out there has had one of these models and pros/cons to owning this model. Been having a hard time finding info on this one. Also what other areas would be a common concern when inspecting it?

Thanks for any and all advice in advance..

Dave

United States of America
edrabun
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 370 Aft Cabin
454 Crusaders

Re: 1991 Carver Montego 525??

Postby edrabun » May 2nd, 2022, 9:44 pm

Have it surveyed by a licensed surveyor.

United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Postby Rocketman » May 3rd, 2022, 7:26 am

If it needs an engine rebuild you must consider that in the cost of the boat.
A survey will give you better info on compression and any issues plus oil sample analysis.
Also potential rot in the stringers/wood that could compromise the hull.
Unless you really want a project boat - I would consider walking away unless the owner has already done a tremendous amount of work. Starter, alternator, wiring, switches, etc.... can really be a problem and you will spend all your time repairing stuff instead of enjoying the boat.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » May 3rd, 2022, 8:06 am

edrabun wrote:Source of the post Have it surveyed by a licensed surveyor.

This, do not buy without a full pre-purchase survey with sea trial….if the engine is up to it.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 3rd, 2022, 9:08 am

cropduster wrote:Source of the post I am totally new to the boating world and this would be my first boat purchase should I pursue it.

Welcome to the forum.....This question comes up many, many times, the best advice is always to get a qualified experienced survey even if you are comfortable replacing the engine and drive etc, a boat has many systems that require expensive repairs if left alone for many years. The hull/decks, cored areas, stringers which also includes the transom cored area which can be a real problem in these models with out drives.You could have 10 of these boats, the same year, model and they would all be in different shape and have different problem areas depending on who and how they were maintained over the years.

To add , the next item to check on any boat would be the fuel tank ( tanks), another very expensive repair, then the water systems, electrical, waste tank and lines/hoses.

This is just a small quick incomplete list. Considering you have no experience with boats in general, the best advice and there is no reason not to buy a fixer upper, you just need to have a good idea before jumping in. That would come from a survey......you just explain to the surveyor what your situation is and go from there.....good luck with your search.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”