Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

42 Carver Aft Cabin

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
boatstogo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 42 aft cabin MY

42 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby boatstogo » May 6th, 2022, 10:04 am

Hello, I am new to the forum and just picked up a gas 1986 Aft Cabin from estate sale. Couple questions that hopefully a member can help answer. How are the fuel tank senders accessed? I see them on top of tank, but insufficient clearance to remove. Hatch under carpet? Behind wall panel? Where are drain plugs located in keel or bottom? Are engine room lights AC or DC? Where is switch located? Thanks for any assistance in getting her back on the water.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: 42 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby buster53 » May 6th, 2022, 10:50 am

Ok, based on my experience with aft cabin Carvers, most likely access is behind the wall panels and it can be done, but it is very tight access.
Garboard drain plug is probably mid ship at the keel…lowest point, but my current boat has it on the transom.
Unless a previous owner made any changes, all installed lights are 12 volt. Switch is probably in the salon/galley area…just keep looking and yes, the bulbs maybe burned out and that is why you can’t confirm the switch is actually working.
Being gas, you will be best served running that boat at hull speed, around 8 knots. I had a gas 3807 and that boat was a dog. A gas 4207 has to be a dog with fleas.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » May 6th, 2022, 11:44 am

Removing the sending units really doesn't require to much room. If you can get to the screws and have maybe 8-12 inches above the tank maybe even a tad less you should be able to maneuver it and the float out to replace.
Switch for engine room lights might be on a wall close the engine access hatch. Will be 12vdc Have you got one with a small indicator light near it? Or switch that doesn't seem to do anything ?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » May 6th, 2022, 12:32 pm

Welcome aboard!
It's been years since I had our 4207. The switch for the lights is on the wall adjacent to the steps. It should light up when the lights are on, since when the steps are closed, how else would you know they were on?

As for the drain. Quick story. I was installing rudder indicators. To do so, to run the wires, you have to take the mattress off, then the hatch under the mattress, which gets you to the storage area under the mattress. But then another hatch to get to the bilge. I went in from the top. Only problem is I slipped in and was stuck. I mean stuck. I am pounding on the hull screaming for my wife. She was on the dock and never heard me. Fortunately she came aboard, heard me, came downstairs, and proceeded to laugh her ass off and got the dock-mates to come see my predicament, all laughing, snide remarks, etc., all before pulling me out.

Lesson learned. Next time, climb into the storage area under the mattress before getting to the bilge. You won't fall in and get stuck like me. The drain is down there.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 6th, 2022, 2:13 pm

waybomb wrote:Source of the post She was on the dock and never heard me. Fortunately she came aboard, heard me, came downstairs, and proceeded to laugh her ass off and got the dock-mates to come see my predicament, all laughing, snide remarks, etc., all before pulling me out.

I think I can speak for us all when I say we still need pics of this....... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
boatstogo
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver 42 aft cabin MY

Postby boatstogo » May 6th, 2022, 5:43 pm

Thank you all for your quick and thorough responses. I'll try to stay out of the "Basement" waybomb! Happy summer to all.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”