Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Shopping for 1988 to 1991 Santiago 34 or 38

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author
Vetterman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Shopping for 1988 to 1991 Santiago 34 or 38

Postby Vetterman » February 3rd, 2014, 11:06 am

I am in the Toronto area and have started shopping for a 1988 to 1991 Santiago 34 or 38. This would be my first boat.

I like the floating living room layout of this model and the flybridge and was wondering if any current owners of this model or anyone who recently shopped for one what lessons did you learn - what should I look for??

Not concerned about interior - I know alot have already been upgraded and new cusions, curtains etc is not a major thing - as a new boater I am more concerned about the expensive repair stuff that I do not have enough experience or knowledge to notice.

Should I be concerend about internal ribs or framing?? Is anything done in wood that can rot over time??

I see alot of this model in the Florida area at very good prices - cheap enough to afford shipping - never really looked into that, so mabey that is just a bad idea and avoid it - but are there any concerns about a salt water boat that would be used in fresh water like the Trent system??

I am seeing prices rannging the mid 30's to low 40's with a few that spike to 60's or as cheap as under 20. Is a 1989 38' santiago at 59K overpriced compared to a 34 at 35k???.

Any advice is much welcomed as I begin this process - thank you.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Shopping for 1988 to 1991 Santiago 34 or 38

Postby waybomb » February 3rd, 2014, 1:35 pm

Welcome!

The one thing you need to do, no matter what, is pay for a survey of whatever vessel you intend to buy. A good surveyor will check everything for you. Engine checks are usually a little more costly, but a complete survey can save you big headaches later on. You DO NOT want a boat with a bad hull or rotten core. You really need to ask around for a good surveyor. You need to find one that everybody complains to be too damn picky for his own good. That's the guy you want. The one that does not accept anything questionable.

Also be aware, salt water boats are less valuable than fresh water boats, generally. Salt gets into everything and starts corroding the metals. I am not saying to not buy a salt water boat. I am saying be aware of the possibilities such as electrical gremlins.

Being in Toronto, you should be able to buy a boat on any of the great lakes and drive it on water back to your home port. It would be a wonderful trip as well. If you have concerns piloting yourself, hire a captain. A captain can teach you quite a bit in a two-to-four day trip!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

airdvr1227
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Santego 30

Postby airdvr1227 » February 12th, 2014, 10:50 am

Just bought our 1989 Santego. One thing I noticed is the fender storage at the rear is poorly designed. It allows water to get into the structure of the swim platform. Ours is somewhat compromised but not enough that it will need fixed right away.

United States of America
Solana
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 38' Carver Santego - Complete refit 2016/2017

Postby Solana » April 3rd, 2014, 12:08 am

We have a 1990 Santego and most come with 454 big blocks with Mercruiser manifolds. The first thing we needed to do was to get rid of those darn things and replace them with Crusaders. Don't worry about the expense, if it's not already too late, it'll save your motors. The retrofit is very minimal and can be easily handled by any competent marine mechanic. Ask around, most everyone I. The know will say "yes" to the retrofit and ASAP!

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”