Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
JeffandErin
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin

Postby JeffandErin » June 11th, 2022, 7:26 pm

1986 3607 aft cabin
Does anyone know the height with the bridge canvas removed? I need to get the height to get a shipping quote for a boat that I am considering purchasing

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1988

Postby km1125 » June 12th, 2022, 10:23 am

Is that with an arch or aft hard top?

The specs say 11'9" without an arch or hardtop. However, if you're going to be piloting it, note that it doesn't leave much room for YOU or YOUR HEAD, since the highest point would be the railing around the bridge or the top of the bridge wheel.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » June 12th, 2022, 2:06 pm

a shipping quote probably concerns the height under a bridge and thus the kind of trailer to be used.

I don't know the design our that particular boat but I remember that mine had to be decapitated a bit more by removing the splash guard to save a couple of inches.
Stupid enough I only leared much later how to emergency tilt the drives (hydraulics were out) so we could have saved ourselves a handfull of screws to remove and put back....
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 12th, 2022, 2:31 pm

Well, if it's shipping by truck, then the bridge surround, the bridge seat and the helm would likely need to be removed. There are a few other threads on others who have had to go that route.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 12th, 2022, 4:28 pm

This won't solve anything BUT more of a statement......I just find it odd that after all these years of shipping boats all over there isn't some sort of shippers log or handbook on popular boat models for these guys as to heights and what to remove..... :popcorn:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » June 13th, 2022, 10:11 am

We had our 1985 3607 shipped from Gimli, MB to Kenora, ON. We had a measurement of 14' 4". That was with the props and rudders removed. We had to be under 14' 6". The firm we used was Andrew's trucking (https://www.andrewstrucking.com/). The driver was great with communications. The company themselves, not so much! They were recommended by both of the marinas. The cost was just under $3000.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » June 13th, 2022, 1:46 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post This won't solve anything BUT more of a statement......I just find it odd that after all these years of shipping boats all over there isn't some sort of shippers log or handbook on popular boat models for these guys as to heights and what to remove..... :popcorn:

there is a common denominator: the height of the bridges.

All boats are different, even if they were the same when they left with the same type designation from the factory. Yes, even at that moment they were probably not all equal. A type XYZ may very likely not have the measurements in the handbook as the owner added some stuff, the drives won't tilt up any more, there was an issue with the antenna and the radar dome was an optional.... but on this particular boat it was not equipped as removable because the first owner lived next to a huge lake without bridges between his house, the bbq sandbank and the marina gas station.

From the point of view of a transporter I too would give the sizes of the hole that boat has to be transported through and leave it to the owner to figure out what to to do to make it fit. After all, what's that owner going to do when there's a bridge over the water that will not flex to fit?

I would also add some information on the height of my trailers but even that may cause a discussion on what stand to use on that trailer.... if any.

How easy life must be when living where boats are built to ones liking (and budget), where no frost occurs and where maintenance parts and professionals are nearby.
And a good bar plus restaurant plus playground are next to the clubhouse of course.
:drunk:
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 13th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Phrancus wrote:Source of the post From the point of view of a transporter I too would give the sizes of the hole that boat has to be transported through and leave it to the owner to figure out what to to do to make it fit. After all, what's that owner going to do when there's a bridge over the water that will not flex to fit?

The shipper is responsible for the load at all times, just the law. Consider this, it is your business to ship boats, you get the contract to ship a fairly common Carver 3807, you have your height restrictions for the route etc......now you ship this boat successfully.....now if it was my business I would have logged exactly what height we ended up with and exactly how we got that and on what trailer, so the next time it is easy and not a lottery as to whether the customer can figure this out. .......so down the road a few thousand times you have a pretty good data log of different boats etc.

That was my point, it just seems like common sense if this is the business you are the expert in. Sure there will always be a first time but those will become fewer as time passes........just my opinion.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Phrancus » June 13th, 2022, 4:49 pm

Good point(s) I do wonder how many of exactly (sizewise) the same boats a shipper gets to handle. Big database filled with once moved types I expect.

I'm always amazed how may different brands, types and variations on the same theme there are! And not just for motorboats, sailboats are even worse; seems like every one is a one-off!

Only thing in common are things like the head and the battery so it seems.

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby Grafunkus » June 14th, 2022, 7:27 am

bud37 wrote:Source of the post The shipper is responsible for the load at all times, just the law.

This is interesting. Our shipper required us to make sure the boat was at the correct height.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”