Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1985 Carver Voyager 28 Deck escape hatch replacement

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver Voyager

1985 Carver Voyager 28 Deck escape hatch replacement

Postby Merkinbrumsky » June 14th, 2022, 8:10 am

Wondering if anyone knows of an exact replacement for this hatch. It leaks badly and dogs are broken off. It appears to be plastic. Hole opening is approx 19 7/16” x 19 7/16. It has 2 cross bars under the lexan. 1 running fore and aft and the other running port and stbd. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1985 Carver Voyager 28 Deck escape hatch replacement

Postby km1125 » June 14th, 2022, 8:37 am

That's the same model used on many Carvers going back to 1982-1983. It was made by Grey (or was it Gray?) Industries who are now part of Pompanette.

I doubt you'll find the same one anywhere, even at a 'boat junkyard', at least one on good enough shape to replace yours. Ever now and then though, you'll run across someone parting out an old boat on Craigslist.

Topic author Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Merkinbrumsky » June 14th, 2022, 4:01 pm

Thanks for the fast reply. I guess I will have to find a non original replacement then. Damn.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » June 18th, 2022, 3:46 am

Mine (1992) was replaced somewhere in its history, I'll check the brand name. I noticed it yesterday but can't pull it out of my memory now.

Size seems quite normal so replacement should be ok to do. I see you have some mosquito screen in it? Mine had a separate screen to clip on, of course some previous owner lost it.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » June 18th, 2022, 7:11 am

Perhaps this helps you source a replacement:

Bomar sounds familiar but a quick we search brings me 'osculati' too, nothing obscure: big company

bomar.jpg

I don't know why I get to this page when searching bomar and that number but it looks exactly like this one:

Yachtshop.eu

I did not measure mine and perhaps this is a serial number, not a product number.

From the looks of it, you just need to figure out the size (seems reasonably standardized, looks like yours is the 19" version?) and source a set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Topic author Canada
Merkinbrumsky
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Merkinbrumsky » June 20th, 2022, 3:36 pm

I ended up ordering a Bomar 900 series. Looks like it may be the same one you posted. May need to enlarge the cutout slightly but should work out good. Got it from defender at a good price. We’ll see when it gets here how install goes.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”