Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Carver 466 - Davit Madness......

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
David Brady
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466 aft Cabin

Carver 466 - Davit Madness......

Postby David Brady » March 12th, 2023, 9:20 am

Hi Team Carver,

Hope everyone's on an even keel this morning (or leaning in that direction). Purchased my '01 466 at the end of last season. One of my biggest peeves-of-the-purchase was that I was "mis-informed" about the electric davit system (there is no electricity involved!). I have the "swing the ding up" variety pictured below, which doesn't suit me as a) whenever it's there, the swim pad is practically useless, b) even without the engine installed, the thing is a bear for this old coot to pull up (minimally getting a come-along or block-over to assist) and c) the current 15 horse motor weighs over 100lbs by itself, so removing it and installing every time I need to stow it is a non-starter.

I have investigated a couple of good looking options for easier, relatively inexpensive systems including this under-mounted extended Davit System (https://www.dinghydavits.com/products/u ... 2630958264) from Dinghydavits.com and this out-rigger system from Binnacle.com (https://us.binnacle.com/Docking-and-Moo ... escription). I was told by my Marina team that the under-mount system is not a good option for the swim platform on my boat and they are evaluating the second option and will give me feedback and a price shortly.

In the meantime, what do others have for Davit systems? My preference is to have something that allows my to store the dinghy horizontally, above the wake without paying thousands. If anyone else has any good ideas I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Here's hoping that all stay above the waterline and have a great day ahead!

Regards,
Dave B
508-254-4097
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Re: Carver 466 - Davit Madness......

Postby KyleR » March 12th, 2023, 9:45 am

:popcorn:

I have the same issues - looking forward to the replies!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 12th, 2023, 1:44 pm

All those "dingy storage" systems are pretty pricey!!

There's also an option with the kind of system you have to mount the engine on a pivot, so the engine stays vertical as the dingy is pulled up to the 90 degree position. Had one friend who did that and he liked it.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » March 13th, 2023, 2:57 am

the pull up you could lighten with some blocks or a winch (possibly electric even) like from a 4x4 front winch.

for the swimming swinging the whole contraption to a side would free a part of the platform.

But the outboard... that's a heavy problem. Don't quite understand how it could pivot without getting stuck against a floating side.

that dingy has been in the water for very long it seems, so the solution was not used much, with reason obviously.

in fact the dinghy pivots and turns 90degrees. would be smarter to have the rods and hinges such that the boat lifts up and pulls horizontalle to the boat. Like a paralell hoist, a shovel, a motor stand. Seen some pretty expensive and complex systems here so its worth getting creative with.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 13th, 2023, 11:05 am

Here's a couple links that would explain my "pivoting the motor" comment.

This is one of the systems:
https://www.weaverindustries.com/index. ... nghies.htm

This page has several dingy davit systems discussed, and they cover the "pivoting motor" in there too:
https://www.lifesaport.com/home/2017/11/9/dinghy

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 13th, 2023, 1:04 pm

David Brady wrote:Source of the post In the meantime, what do others have for Davit systems? My preference is to have something that allows my to store the dinghy horizontally, above the wake without paying thousands. If anyone else has any good ideas I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Heh Dave......considering you will be ocean/rough water boating at some point IMO there is only a few ways to go to be safe. By safe I mean your back, the boat and the dink itself. None of these are cheap.

You need to get the dink well out of the water to avoid any following sea issues and I believe your boat digs a bit at the stern. Don't let anyone say they are fine with the dink sitting on the swim step, it only takes one bit of bad luck. In my experience the davit crane in some form is the best solution for the stern or on the bow. They are easy to operate, electrify with a winch motor for ease of use and you will have the use of the platform when the dink is deployed especially with your boat design.

There is also something called a Dinghy caddy which I found to work real well, the dink sat level with the engine on, gas tank in and well out of the water, puts the load point ( weight applied to the boat ) a bit more forward as well.....also easy to electrify with your boats aft design. We used one for years and were very happy with the design and ease of use, and we had a transom door to get thru.

Good luck with your search....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » March 13th, 2023, 2:47 pm

all clear now.

km1125 wrote:Source of the post Here's a couple links that would explain my "pivoting the motor" comment.

This is one of the systems:
https://www.weaverindustries.com/index. ... nghies.htm

This page has several dingy davit systems discussed, and they cover the "pivoting motor" in there too:
https://www.lifesaport.com/home/2017/11/9/dinghy
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » March 13th, 2023, 4:52 pm

Your issue is the same as what I faced with getting a davit system for my 2006 Carver 44 CMY. The area of the swim platform from the storage box to the edge of the platform is narrow. Any solution you pick needs the cantilever, buy way of an extension, off the end of the swim platform. It also has to be raised to keep the dinghy from being hit by the water, especially with a following sea.

To do it right would not be cheap and it is worth spending the money. There are lots of options out there.

I was able to purchase a used Sea Weed System that was designed for a boat like mine, that I really like. It was designed to allow the dinghy to be cantilevered off the back of the platform and raised high enough so the water cannot come in contact with the dinghy. I have a 12 foot Highfield centre console with a 30 hp on it, (530 Lbs)

Another really good option for you is the Dinghy Caddy, as stated by Bud37. You can check out their web site dinghycaddy.com and get a sense as to how the works. This is a Canadian company and it is used by a lot of folks. Your money will go a long way.

I used the weaver davit system like you have now when I bought my boat with a 12 ft and a 9.9. merc. It was a challenge to get the dinghy up so I purchased a DC powered winch that attached to a high point on my boat with a "D"ring, to get a good angle, which makes it a lot easier to pull up. The only issue I had with this system was when I was in big water, 10-12 ft swell that was hitting my seaboard side. The water was hitting the dinghy broadside due to its position on the system with so much force, that the pad/yoke let loose and the dinghy was last seen floating upside down in Georgian Bay, to be found later on the rocks in the Bustard Islands by the Coast Guard. I did notice that you do not use the adhesive pad/yoke to secure the dinghy on the front. Thats a good move.

Hurley also has a great davit system, however you will not have enough platform to use that one unless you extend the base. I have seen some folks build a large base with layers of starboard. I have a picture of this set up that I will search for so you can see it if you would like.

Not sure about the type of boating you do, but some folks that don't deal with the locks up here just tow their dinghy with a proper harness with three points of contact at the dinghy and two at the boat.

It will be difficult to get full access to your swim platform with most solutions, unless to go with a Freedom Lift or something like that. $$$$$$.

Good luck with your search, happy boating.

Greg

United States of America
Y2K996
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 390 Cockpit Motoryacht 210HP 5.9L Cummins

Postby Y2K996 » March 21st, 2023, 1:01 pm

I am in the process of closing on a 1996 500 Cockpit Motoryacht which has a Dinghy Butler System installed on it. https://www.thedinghybutler.com/. They make it in aluminum (500 lbs capacity) and stainless steel (700 lbs capacity and what is on my boat). While I have yet to use it I am planning on lifting an 11 foot Caribe with a console and with a 30 HP Honda 4 stroke. I used to have Weaver Snap Davits on a 10 foot Avon with a 5 HP Mercury on a 32 foot Mariner and it really was a pain removing the engine and fuel tank each time.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1996-carver-500-cockpit-motor-yacht-8587811/

Topic author United States of America
David Brady
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 466 aft Cabin

Postby David Brady » April 17th, 2023, 8:02 am

Y2K996, I have looked at the Butler and like it. My dinghy is lighter than yours overall (<300Lb) and I am hoping for a crane-like system to fully get the dinghy out of the water, but still as much off the skinny swim deck as possible. My latest find is the St Croix system which look ideal currently. Unfortunately I am told that they are currently not making the model I want (of course) due to material supply issues. I will continue my search and thanks for the feedback! - Dave B

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”