Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1991 Original Battery Setup (33 Aft Cabin)

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Howell678
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1991 33’ Aft Cabin

1991 Original Battery Setup (33 Aft Cabin)

Postby Howell678 » March 12th, 2023, 4:44 pm

I got this boat last fall and have been slowly tackeling the many need projects and have not had a chance to get around to the batteries. This past weekend the Generator wouldn't start or turn over so the first thing I will check when I get back to it is the battery. That being said I guess I will tackley this next.

Does anyone know what the original setup was from the factory? How many batteries and what was wired to what. I hoping someone knows to save me the time of chasing wires and with the chance it may have changed over the years. My house boat has a cranking battery for each egine and the generator. I replaced the old style charger with a modern 3 bank battery tender. It then has two house batteries that has a 12v powersupply/battery charger combo. I have been happy with this setup and I am thinking of doing something similar on the carver. I know there are two battery switched under the stairs coming into the boat, but I haven't even had time to see how many batteries it has (though it doens't look like their is room for 5 where they are located.

Any help is apppreciated before I start chaising wires.
1991 Carve 33 Aft Cabin

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 1991 Original Battery Setup (33 Aft Cabin)

Postby bud37 » March 12th, 2023, 4:50 pm

Welcome to the forum....my advice would be to chase the wiring and make a schematic. The reason is simple, you can never be sure of what previous owners and mechanics have done.

It may well be original, but will still require some looking into.....good luck with your investigations and hopefully someone with the same model can chime in.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: 1991 Original Battery Setup (33 Aft Cabin)

Postby buster53 » March 13th, 2023, 8:01 am

As to how many batteries you should have, not trying to be flip, but open up your hatches and look. On my 356, there is only room for 3 batteries. I have a starting battery for the gen set and 2 deep cell batteries that handle both my house load and engine starting.
Some years ago, I had a 3807 and while we had the same 3 battery setup, if I recall, the battery compartment had room for 4.
I’m willing to bet $2 your battery compartment is designed for 3. FYI, my 356 is just a newer, slightly larger version of the 33’ aft.

As far as your genset not starting, my genset has its own on/off switch, similar to your basic, 1/2/Both/off, switch. Just maybe, that is your problem, switch not turned on…or the battery is dead.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”