Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

500 Cockpit Motoryacht Fuel Consumption

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author United States of America
Y2K996
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 390 Cockpit Motoryacht 210HP 5.9L Cummins

500 Cockpit Motoryacht Fuel Consumption

Postby Y2K996 » March 21st, 2023, 1:41 pm

I am closing on a 1996 500 Cockpit Motoryacht at the end of this month in Charleston SC. I need to drive her back to Cortez FL and was wondering what kind of fuel consumption I can expect at both planing and hull speeds. I plan on cruising around 18 knots when I can. She has the 8.3L 6CTA 420HP Cummins diesels. I have heard 1.5MPG off plane but I don't know at what speed or RPM that would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 500 Cockpit Motoryacht Fuel Consumption

Postby Midnightsun » March 21st, 2023, 3:26 pm

Your off plane best consumption speed would be at hull speed which should be around 8knots which is where I assume that 1.5mpg figure is coming from. At 2600 rpm that engine should consume around 24 gph x 2 and would think you can get her up to 18 knots. Those figures should not be to far from reality IMHO.

Here is a great article. Skip to the conclusion at the end where it really sums up the difference between different scenarios. Hull speed is your friend if you want to travel economically. https://www.passagemaker.com/technical/feel-the-burn
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Y2K996
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Y2K996 » March 25th, 2023, 1:54 pm

Thank you for your reply. I found a BoatTest.com review of a 2001 504 with 450HP Cummins that was getting around a half a mile per gallon at cruising speeds. I have to bring my new boat from Charleston to Sarasota so I'm trying to get an idea of how much I'm looking at for fuel for the trip. My current boat gets 1MPG at cruising speed and 2.3MPG at hull speed. Looks like this new boat is going to cost a little more than I estimated but you only live once.

United States of America
five0clock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 564CPMY

Postby five0clock » March 27th, 2023, 3:42 pm

I tried to PM you and it would not let me do it. You may want to PM before you buy that boat. If it is the same one I am thinking about it sank in NC. It sat for a year in NC and they couldn't sell it, and now it is in Charleston. If you need more information just PM me. I am sure they have changed the name, but the one I had, had a green awning over the back sliding door.

Y2K996
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Y2K996 » April 19th, 2023, 7:30 pm

I saw the one you spoke of and it was listed by a Charleston broker but it was actually in NC. I didn't care for it and purchased a different one.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”