Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

405 Carver any ideas for boarding ladder?

The is the forum to discuss general information regarding all Carver Yachts.

Topic author Canada
krawdad
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 1999 405 Aft. 454 Horizon motors

405 Carver any ideas for boarding ladder?

Postby krawdad » September 7th, 2023, 4:26 pm

Hello all, I'm looking for ideas to make it easier for the wife to board our boat (405 aft deck). Currently we are using a step ladder but it is not convenient and somewhat dangerous. Our shared dock is only a couple feet wide so I can't build a platform or stairs on the dock without obstructing our neighbour. I would also like to have a portable solution so I can take the steps / ladder with me. Also, we can only bow in on our dock due to limited depth so we can't use the swim platform.

Any ideas anyone? How is everyone else handling this issue? Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks, KC

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: 405 Carver any ideas for boarding ladder?

Postby g36 » September 8th, 2023, 8:28 am

Wow if all that's true sounds like your very limited. Any other slip available? I also share a finger, however a bit wider than yours. Do you have issues on both sides of the slip ? I built a dock step to my 405 to take up 1/2 of the walkway which works fine for us. . A step ladder would be pretty sketchy for sure. Have you spoken to your neighbor to try and work out something,most boaters would understand your issue. Maybe some kind of shorter platform that they could step on and over and then you only need a single step etc you could use when your there. I've never seen any premade apx 1ft wide boarding steps like your looking for. If you find some or equivalent please post up your findings.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 8th, 2023, 8:34 am

Post a pic of what you're dealing with. Are you trying to go up or down to the boat?

In one situation, I built a platform that was a wide as the whole finger dock and about 10" high. It helped both us and our dock neighbors get into our boats in the years the water was higher. I had an additional step on my side of that platform to get to our boat because my deck was higher than my dock neighbors.

Topic author Canada
krawdad
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 1999 405 Aft. 454 Horizon motors

Postby krawdad » September 11th, 2023, 4:55 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'm thinking of buying a ready made stainless steel boarding ladder from amazon that hinges to the gunwale & modifying it for what I need. It has fold down standoff's with rubber feet to hold the ladder away from the hull. I will flip it up and fasten to the rail when underway. I'll post pics if it works

Cheers KC

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby plittle2005 » September 12th, 2023, 12:43 am

Plastimo fender/ladder
IMG_7887.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
Uk4life
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 405 Aft Cabin

Postby Uk4life » January 26th, 2024, 7:38 am

We installed a Marquipt step across https://www.marquipt.com/products/step-across/ to assist boarding our 405. We are on a shared skinny finger pier with tides and the step across has been a game changer! We use steps like this with a handrail https://www.westmarine.com/todd-four-st ... 05063.html
so depending on the tide we slide the steps to use the appropriate step height. The handrail on the mounted step across are a huge help when boarding for insecure folks.

Return to “Carver Yachts Forum - Model Discussion”