Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Question on polishing waxing

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Helmsman
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: Temporarily Boatless

Question on polishing waxing

Postby Helmsman » April 19th, 2018, 10:51 am

I had this question in a another post but didn’t get any replies.

Guys, I have a question. My boat is in the water. I have compounded polished and waxed the lower hull (the hard part). Would like to get advise on how you compound and wax up front between the fly bridge window and the lower front window. Can’t crawl up and can’t hang from the fly bridge.

Typing this, it sounds like a silly question but would really like to hear how others do it. Thanks for the help.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: Question on polishing waxing

Postby g36 » April 19th, 2018, 10:59 am

looking at pics does appear too big to get part done from top and part of it from deck. how about taking a step ladder and padding it good so it wont scratch and laying it on the deck and up the slant and climbing up till you can reach a section at a time. ? then moving it over when needed. may not be the easiest but would give you something to stand on.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 19th, 2018, 11:22 am

I agree, It would be interesting to see how the pros that do this every day would handle this situation.....maybe they have a scaffold from one side to the other........I like the ladder idea though.......whatever you would have to be very careful as those polishers grab pretty good at times.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » April 19th, 2018, 8:14 pm

My friend uses a thingy with 2 suction cups on it and a bar across the suction cups. This way you can stand on it. Still looks kinda sketchy standing around on it though. But it works!

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 20th, 2018, 10:28 pm

MakinTime wrote:Source of the post My friend uses a thingy with 2 suction cups on it and a bar across the suction cups. This way you can stand on it. Still looks kinda sketchy standing around on it though. But it works!

That sounds interesting. Got any pics?

Helmsman
Commander
Commander

Postby Helmsman » April 20th, 2018, 10:34 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post I agree, It would be interesting to see how the pros that do this every day would handle this situation.....maybe they have a scaffold from one side to the other........I like the ladder idea though.......whatever you would have to be very careful as those polishers grab pretty good at times.

I thought about that but there isn’t anything to have the ladder grab on the deck. I have been thinking about fashioning a rope ladder that I hang from the top section of the windshield with a couple of u-shaped handles. Just have to get up about 2 feet. The key is to not break the windows or scratch them.

United States of America
PhilH
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Californian 45 M/Y, 1990 Cat 3208 diesels

Postby PhilH » April 21st, 2018, 1:40 am

Ladder with padding and ropes to hold it in place seems good. Also, have seen pros use a suction cup handle to hold on to and one hand on a smaller polisher

United States of America
MakinTime
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: Carver 3607 MakinTIme
Glastron MX175 MakinTimeToo

Postby MakinTime » April 21st, 2018, 7:38 am

I will try and get a pic online I don’t really know what they are called. I was thinking of doing something similar with suction cups I have for putting in windshield in cars they are very high quality and have a push pump on them to really stick well. Maybe take to suction cups and bolt a piece of steel through them?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”