Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1977 Carver Santa Cruz Hull Question

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
USMCShellback
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver 2566 "Santa Cruz"
Volvo Penta 240A V8
AQ280 Aquamatic Drive

1977 Carver Santa Cruz Hull Question

Postby USMCShellback » May 29th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Hi Folks,

First post here apart from my intro. Here is the story that leads to the question. I was out at the Carver the other day getting the motor ready. Changed plugs, wires, oil, oil filter. There is a factory battery tray built into the port stern. Previous owner (I have owned about a year) moved the starter battery over to starboard stern partly resting on a 1x4 piece of wood, and partly resting on the fiberglass. I don't know why he did this, I think it was to accommodate starter wire replacement where he possibly got wires too short. This appears 1x4 to have kept the battery somewhat level. I decided to move the starter battery back to its intended home in the tray which appears to be able to hold about 3 batteries. I have two batteries, starter and deep cycle. With the battery back in the tray I hopped back over to complete the plug and wire swap. Directly where the starter battery was sitting my foot detected a somewhat soft spot in the fiberglass. This spot is about the size of the battery (what a surprise!). It does not flex to form a bubble shape, but when I put weight on it (gently once I detected it) it will push in a bit. My theory is that the previous owner had the battery in that place long enough to bounce around and affect the rigidity of the fiberglass over time. Previous owner had it for 15-20 years. I'm also aware that it could be a void in the glass, but don't think so. So here is my question:

Being that this spot is strong enough to hold shape while in the water (only flexes when I put pressure on it and I am a big guy), would this cause any of you concern to pull the boat? I'm a new owner and still learning.

I have attached a hasty drawing to show the exact area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: 1977 Carver Santa Cruz Hull Question

Postby waybomb » May 29th, 2017, 6:07 pm

I think Carvers at the time had balsa coring below the water line.
You <may> have a wet core in that area.
Maybe somebody that knows for sure will chime in.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

USMCShellback
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo Penta 240A V8
AQ280 Aquamatic Drive

Postby USMCShellback » May 30th, 2017, 12:45 am

waybomb wrote:Source of the post I think Carvers at the time had balsa coring below the water line.
You <may> have a wet core in that area.
Maybe somebody that knows for sure will chime in.

From all my research I believe balsa core is correct. Concerning wet balsa below the water line, Ive read everything from "it can be fixed by a good glass layer" to "get a surveyor to come condemn it". Any info from anyone who has dealt with this would be awesome.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 30th, 2017, 6:59 am

Until you get a surveyor or a good fiberglass tech to assess it, you won't know if the problem is widespread or limited to a localized area that can be repaired at a reasonable cost. If this is a wet core, you want to stop it from spreading as soon as possible before it turns into an unreasonable repair if it hasn't already.

USMCShellback
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo Penta 240A V8
AQ280 Aquamatic Drive

Postby USMCShellback » May 30th, 2017, 10:34 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post Until you get a surveyor or a good fiberglass tech to assess it, you won't know if the problem is widespread or limited to a localized area that can be repaired at a reasonable cost. If this is a wet core, you want to stop it from spreading as soon as possible before it turns into an unreasonable repair if it hasn't already.

I did get in touch with a Surveyor, he said not to even bother having it surveyed as he would only say "Yup, its a weak spot, take her to a Glass shop!" I appreciate his honesty!

I am now looking for a reputable repair shop in the area. The soft spot is not large but I recognize that doesnt signify the limit of damage, so once I find someone to get her to I will update here. The search is on, my wallet already feels lighter!

United States of America
Big dog
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1977 25' Santa Cruz

Postby Big dog » September 4th, 2017, 4:02 pm

I've got the same boat I'm thinking. This isn't about the soft spot but how yours run in the water. Mine wants to lean one way or the other. I use the tabs trying to correct the problem but the faster I go the more it leans. I've got a 350 with a bravo 2 drive. Just wondering???? Thanks Big Dog

USMCShellback
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Volvo Penta 240A V8
AQ280 Aquamatic Drive

Postby USMCShellback » July 16th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Big dog wrote:Source of the post I've got the same boat I'm thinking. This isn't about the soft spot but how yours run in the water. Mine wants to lean one way or the other. I use the tabs trying to correct the problem but the faster I go the more it leans. I've got a 350 with a bravo 2 drive. Just wondering???? Thanks Big Dog

Hey Big Dog, sorry for the (very) late reply. Sounds like your prop and boat weight distribution may be rolling you while on plane. Also take into mind where folks are seated if you have visitors, and tell them not to move about while you are underway that can make you list if on plane. Mine is not in a lake where I can get it on plane and keep it there for any amount of time so I usually cruise at about 2k rpm or putt to where I'm going. The only time I've been rocked one way or another was when a speed demon flew by me and I had to deal with the wake he blasted on me. Ive been seeing more and more of these blown v8 speedboats ripping around and don't really care for them. I will say that turning against the prop is noticeably harder than with the prop. I don't have power steering so I sometimes have to muscle it a bit. Ill be pulling her out of the water later this year for some work and a little bit of resto-modding.

All that said, the gentleman that I bought the boat from had her balls to the walls once in order to get away from a tornado and he said that was the one and only time he ever ran her like that. He said quite frankly it scared the sh*t out of him and he would never do it again. He didn't elaborate on it any more than that.

United States of America
Big dog
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1977 25' Santa Cruz

Postby Big dog » July 16th, 2018, 3:13 pm

I'm getting better with the trim tabs. I can run 3500rpm and it isn't too Bad unless people start moving around. I've got to keep the bow in air or it will start cutting

Vanuatu
SRVTRIBUTE
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver Santa Cruz 26

Postby SRVTRIBUTE » July 20th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Just bought an 86 Santa Cruz. Do they all have a cable from upper to lower station?????

United States of America
Msteph9834
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1974 Carver Santa Cruz. Model 2565.
OMC 225 Stern drive

Postby Msteph9834 » August 1st, 2018, 7:24 pm

SRVTRIBUTE wrote:Source of the post Just bought an 86 Santa Cruz. Do they all have a cable from upper to lower station?????

I have a 1974 Santa Cruz, and on mine, the steering cable from the upper helm runs down into the steering gear box of the lower helm, then out to the stern drive with one cable. So yes, they are connected in the lower steering gear box.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”