Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Single engine trolling on twin vdrive Carver

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
jgsalentine
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1978 Voyager 2826

Re: Single engine trolling on twin vdrive Carver

Postby jgsalentine » June 16th, 2020, 10:49 pm

I own a 28' Voyager with twin 220 Crusaders that is set up to troll on only the port engine. The only modification necessary was to double the size of the port rudder for steering. @1000RPM it trolls nicely at 2.5mph.

United States of America
Mississippi Voyager
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 320 Voyager Twin Crusader 350XL's w/ V-Drives

Postby Mississippi Voyager » November 24th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Fishboy, this thread is a little aged, but here is some info from a fellow 320 Voyager owner. Did you end up buying it? Your boat with 350XL Crusaders will have a 1:1 Velvet Drive transmission model 71C (10-17) with a remote mounted Walter RV-26 V-Drive that has a 2.05:1 reduction ratio. Shafts are 1 1/4 inch stainless turning 18 x 18 3 blade props. Mine has a minimum speed by GPS with both engines of 4 to 4.5 miles per hour. A little fast for trolling. I have not tried to run it on one engine. The cooling system goes from the thru-hull directly into the Walter V-Drive and passes through to the raw water pump. You have easy access to that through hull from the hatch that opens over your V-Drive in the cabin.

The exhaust issue mentioned is not likely a problem. You should have the side exiting exhausts and the muffler is significantly above the exhaust exit point. You have me curious now to try single engine running next season. Shut down for the winter here in Minnesota now.
Working on Boats is FUN! :lol:

United States of America
SeattleMatt
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 320 Voyager
Twin Crusader 350XLHT

Postby SeattleMatt » June 3rd, 2021, 2:22 am

Mississippi Voyager wrote:Fishboy, this thread is a little aged, but here is some info from a fellow 320 Voyager owner. Did you end up buying it? Your boat with 350XL Crusaders will have a 1:1 Velvet Drive transmission model 71C (10-17) with a remote mounted Walter RV-26 V-Drive that has a 2.05:1 reduction ratio. Shafts are 1 1/4 inch stainless turning 18 x 18 3 blade props. Mine has a minimum speed by GPS with both engines of 4 to 4.5 miles per hour. A little fast for trolling. I have not tried to run it on one engine. The cooling system goes from the thru-hull directly into the Walter V-Drive and passes through to the raw water pump. You have easy access to that through hull from the hatch that opens over your V-Drive in the cabin.

The exhaust issue mentioned is not likely a problem. You should have the side exiting exhausts and the muffler is significantly above the exhaust exit point. You have me curious now to try single engine running next season. Shut down for the winter here in Minnesota now.

Did you ever try it on one?
1995 Carver 320 Voyager
Twin Crusader 350XLHT

United States of America
SeattleMatt
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 320 Voyager
Twin Crusader 350XLHT

Postby SeattleMatt » June 12th, 2021, 11:06 pm

Bringing back this thread, for a Carver 320, did any of you ever try this with specific flow stats?
1995 Carver 320 Voyager
Twin Crusader 350XLHT

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”