Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Teak Boarding steps

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
KandJ72
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: '76 Carver Mariner 3395
Twin 351W Vdrives
Refit in process

Teak Boarding steps

Postby KandJ72 » July 6th, 2022, 9:43 am

Wondering if anyone knows of a source for 20L x 4 1/2W Teak Boarding steps, we have a few beyond re-teaking, all I can find so far is 15". Thanks for any input.

Canada
Grafunkus
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1982 33' Carver Mariner
1985 3607 Carver Aft Cabin

Re: Teak Boarding steps

Postby Grafunkus » July 6th, 2022, 5:58 pm

See if you can have a local woodworker build them.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » July 6th, 2022, 6:13 pm

Do you have a marine outlet store by you? Here we have Wolf's Marine, and when in Wisconsin, we had Kendor Marine.
Places like this usually have new teak, but also have bins of used teak. I bet you could find what you need at a place like these if nearby.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 6th, 2022, 6:59 pm

I remember looking for some years ago, they seemed to be stock sizes and appear to come from the same place.

Maybe a suggestion, could you put two together, cut and butt joint, it would be a bit longer but,.... and like has been mentioned some teak boards and a router if you are handy with wood working tools.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

KandJ72
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 351W Vdrives
Refit in process

Postby KandJ72 » July 7th, 2022, 10:23 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I may just end up trying to recreate them myself. In Central NY we really don't have any Marine Outlet stores. Trying to find a woodworker that isn't already 6 months behind is like trying to find a canvas maker of the same situation. I'm thinking either make them myself or switch to EVA pads of some sort. Our plan is to eventually accent with that anyways. I'll repost once we figure it out.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » July 7th, 2022, 10:54 am

If you are talking about appearance only, I had redone my teak stairs with Sikkens Cetol Marine teak finish. Cleaned with simple teak cleaner and med brush, then applied 3 or 4 coats of the Sikkens. Steps look like new, on my 3rd season with no touch up. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 7th, 2022, 12:52 pm

Rather than go the "professional" or store-bought route, are you sure you don't have family or acquaintances who could knock out a couple for you? I made a couple for my 3607 when one broke and it wasn't really that hard. Having an old one for a pattern help immensely. Good teak is not cheap though, especially when you need a bit thicker piece than the normal 3/4 in boards (I think I made mine out off 4/4 stock). If you were closer, I could probably knock out a couple within a week.

United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Postby Petemait » July 8th, 2022, 12:51 pm

I need to make one myself. Maybe even just try a local lumber yard?
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 8th, 2022, 1:36 pm

Petemait wrote:Source of the post I need to make one myself. Maybe even just try a local lumber yard?

You might have to call around for a few (or ask around) because there's only ONE great lumberyard in my area that handles some nice teak and nice mahogany. There might be others but I've never run across them. Some of the small "Woodcraft" type shops have some bins with various "exotic" lumber and many have teak, but it gets pretty pricey going that way.

With all the shipping getting ridiculously cheap (at least from the vendor side), you might even see if it's economical to order and have shipped. One place that I did order a bunch of great teak from was http://www.condonlumber.net/

KandJ72
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Twin 351W Vdrives
Refit in process

Postby KandJ72 » July 18th, 2022, 2:40 pm

So quick update to this.
In stripping down and refinishing the handrails in the Aft we discovered everything is actually Red Oak. We've recoated with Total Boat Halcyon Gloss and Amber and everything is coming out beautiful.
As for the treads I'm going to try their Penetrating Epoxy (Yeah I know I said it LOL). It's worked GREAT in some areas that were getting punky and the bow hatch that was in sad shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”