Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1976 Carver Mariner 3396 - Bad V-Drive?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
BoatinginFL
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1976 Carver Mariner 3396, twin 351 pleasure craft

1976 Carver Mariner 3396 - Bad V-Drive?

Postby BoatinginFL » November 7th, 2014, 11:15 pm

When I recently purchased the boat I cleaned the points on both engines and both ran strong. I was told the V-drive on the port side was bad and only the starboard screw was turning. The previous owner told me the v-drive is bad and the port wasn't turning. This made for an interesting passage from Venice, FL to her new home St. Petersburg, FL. The port propeller turned during the passage so I know it's not stuck below. My question is this a typical item that breaks? I've been told these v-drives are pretty rock solid. My question is will this be a fairly costly repair? Do you think it could be the transmission and not the v-drive? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: 1976 Carver Mariner 3396 - Bad V-Drive?

Postby waybomb » November 8th, 2014, 8:03 am

Simple to determine which component is bad. Be lashed into the dock. Have somebody up top. You be down by the engine. Have topsides start the engine and put the tranny in forward or reverse. If the shaft engages and spins between tranny and vdrive, but the output of the vdrive does not, you have a vdrive issue. If the tranny shaft does not turn you have a tranny issue. Could just be an adjustment.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
BoatinginFL
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1976 Carver Mariner 3396, twin 351 pleasure craft

Re: 1976 Carver Mariner 3396 - Bad V-Drive?

Postby BoatinginFL » November 8th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Thank you I will have a look. Starboard side looked good on vdrive oil, but when I went to check the port side the dip stick would not pull all the way out and it looked like something had calcified inside and was preventing the dipstick from being removed. Just another thing that has me leaning towards the vdrive, but I will check the shafts asap.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”