Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Red colored oily something

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 396

Red colored oily something

Postby bobfino » December 22nd, 2014, 3:42 pm

Hello, OK over the weekend I crawled forward of my generator on my 2005 396MY to get a look at the head filter. What I did discover was a pool of red oily liquid down in the forward hull of the boat, I would guess about 1 to 2 gallons I cleaned up. Not sure how long it was there, I owned the boat for about 9 months now so I did not notice it before and the surveyor said nothing about it, not sure if he crawled that far in. My first thought was diesel fuel, but it has a smell of varnish or a shellac kind of smell not diesel. If it is old, does diesel take on that kind of smell with time?
All cleaned up now but I would really like to know what it was.
Thanks and Happy Holidays to everybody.
Bob

United States of America
Ramsport47
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 310 Santego

Re: Red colored oily something

Postby Ramsport47 » December 23rd, 2014, 7:58 am

My first guess would be diesel, but it does retain it's smell, so probably not it. Second thought would be hydraulic steering fluid, although I don't know if it can get to the fwd end of the engine room. Check your steering, if it seems notchy or loose, it's probably that. You'll need to determine where it's coming from.
Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag MPI (300hp)
Port: Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky, Ohio

After Taxes
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 'After Taxes'
2004 Carver Mariner 360
Lake Simcoe & Georgian Bay,
Ontario, Canada

Postby After Taxes » December 23rd, 2014, 11:36 am

Previous owner / service tech accidentally put / drain winterizing antifreeze in there? Old pink plumbing antifreeze turns darker red with age.
When plumbing lines are disconnected, or opened or even joined together, in the plumbing antifreeze installation process, someone could've been sloppy or unaware that they were pushing anti-freeze into that forward bilge. Anti-freeze does not feel oily to the touch. Do you have a forward head near that location, or plumbing lines that run nearby? Also consider the possibility of a ruptured plumbing line.

Other red fluids are trim tab oil, but it should NOT be that quantity or that far forward. Trim tab fluid feels very oily to the touch. It is typically the same composition as automobile automatic transmission fluid.

Please tell us all the answer, once you find out. It's great when we can all learn from each other.

Best regards,

Steve
2004 Carver Mariner 360
MerCruiser MX 6.2
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » December 23rd, 2014, 1:40 pm

I am thinking hydraulic fluid from the bow thruster - right area, right colour.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Topic author United States of America
bobfino
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2005 Carver 396

Postby bobfino » December 24th, 2014, 8:33 am

Thanks for all the input, I will do my best to solve the mystery and let everybody know. My better half said it smelled like anti-freeze to her as well, but I am thinking anti-freeze is not that oily. I am liking the bow thruster idea, seems like a lot of fluid for a bow thruster but that's where I will start!!
Hope everybody has a great Holiday.

Canada
Lyndon670
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 506
Volvo TAMD74EDC

Postby Lyndon670 » December 24th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Depending on your thruster - 1 to 2 gallons is not out of the ordinary. I think mine is about 6 litres, just under 1.5 gallons. It may look like more if it is lying in your bilge.
Lyndon,
2000 Carver 506
FOXY JOE
Volvo 7.4TAMD
Queens Cove Marina
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”