Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Removing and re-seating a large sealed window.

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
justavacation
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 406 w/cummins 370hp

Removing and re-seating a large sealed window.

Postby justavacation » May 16th, 2015, 11:06 pm

I have a 2000 406, it has large sealed windows. One of them has pulled away from the caulk along the bottom edge. Just spent the day cleaning all the old caulk out on all 4 sides. My first question is, did Carver use any sort of retaining clips to hold the window in place? I ask because I discovered 6 holes that are dilled into the fiberglass in stategic places,(I think the window had been removed at some point, as the starboard engine has been worked on). Also any ideas on how to free the glass from the frame without damaging it and lastly, any recommendations on what to use to re-caulk. I was thinking of 3M's 4000 but I see alot of people recommend Butyl tape, though would'nt I still need to caulk as well. I would appreciate any advice you can offer, Thanks.

350 Voyager
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 350 Voyager
Twin Volvo Penta Diesels

Re: Removing and re-seating a large sealed window.

Postby 350 Voyager » May 27th, 2015, 10:15 pm

New user and new boat owner here. Just started fixing the leaks on the windows like you are talking about. Pulled the first one tonight and I see where the original black, rubbery caulk was not sealed to the aluminum frame anymore in spots. I ordered the 2 items you mentioned earlier today after doing some online research, butyl tape and 3M 4000. Not sure the best way to rebed but I'm thinking of using both. Anyone else have any experience or suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”