Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

fly bridge helm steering

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
detroitdingman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 voyager

fly bridge helm steering

Postby detroitdingman » May 27th, 2015, 1:31 pm

Hello every one . new here
i have me a 1985 carver voyager my fly bridge helm dos nothing no steering , where do i check the hydraulic fluid on this boat . bottom steering works fine.. the top just spins almost freely . any advice will be appreciated.... :worthy:

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: fly bridge helm steering

Postby waybomb » May 27th, 2015, 9:07 pm

I am guessing a Hynautic system? Air floats to the top

You need to locate the reservoir. Could be back by the rudders. If it is low on fluid, you have a leak somewhere that needs to be fixed.. If you have no air pressure, you'll need to charge it to about 25psi along with filling fluid, to find the leak.

If you have air pressure and you have fluid, the way to clear air from a hynautic system is to turn the wheel in one direction for many turns, like 75-100. Then the other way. If that doesn't clear the air, you may have to loosen one fitting at a time behind the wheel and bleed that air out. Be careful, those fittings are expensive, since this system is no longer made. Start with the center one, then either side port.

If you don't have a hynautic system, disregard what I wrote.

To identify it, go to ebay and search Hynautic h50. This is how your helm pump looks. Your steering wheel attaches right to it.

I believe if you search Hynautic, you'll find the webpage with some manuals on the system. One of them describes
the air bleeding process as above.

ps - from your user ID, you in Detroit? During the week I'm downriver in Trenton.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
detroitdingman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby detroitdingman » May 28th, 2015, 2:18 pm

thank you waybomb for the info ,, it is hydraulic , if i have a leak some where wont that make the bottom helm not working either ? im going to locate the pump hopefully today . im going tear that boat up lol , im in detroit area i dock in erie , again thank you , if you know of any one that can help me with this please let know.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » May 28th, 2015, 3:29 pm

The brand is hynautic.
The pump is what the steering wheel is mounted on.
Dual station means dual pumps. You turn the wheel and that moves the fluid.
The reservoir holds the fluid. The 25psi air charge is what pushes the fluid out to the helm pumps. The helm pumps move the fluid to either side of the steering cylinder that is connected to the rudder tie bar.
It is a completely mechanical system.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
detroitdingman
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby detroitdingman » May 28th, 2015, 10:18 pm

I went Down to marina today hoping I can do something with it , well after 3 beers I looked at the floor ,I'm telling my self that's where the reservoir should be .i looked for anything like acces with out tearing carpet up nothing ,I walked back out and finished the other 3' .. I'm just going to set on the bridge and turn the wheel for few hours ,that should fix it ,, lol thank you ,

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”