Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Engine Water Pump - Impeller Replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Engine Water Pump - Impeller Replacement

Postby Viper » August 13th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Ya I have to agree Fred. I don't like the 180. For the price these days, get yourself a temp gun and check a few areas on the engine, especially at the temp sender. Expect the temp to be less than the gage reading as the sender is emersed in fluid but I wouldn't expect to see it off by 20 deg. If it measures close to 180 then I'd say you need to dig deeper. You also have another engine to can compare reading with at key points. These guns are a must to keep on board IMO. And yes, there is nowhere for antifreeze to go except into the bilge or an overflow bottle, oil pan, or out the exhaust! Are your exhaust manifolds closed cooled or raw water cooled?

Topic author
mrsparkj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby mrsparkj » August 14th, 2015, 8:05 am

Thank Fred. Appreciate the info and helping me walk through this. Will see what the mechanic has to say.

Scott

Topic author
mrsparkj
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 Carver Aft Cabin

Postby mrsparkj » August 14th, 2015, 8:08 am

Viper, Raw Water cooled. Pump brings water in from bottom of hull, sends to heat exchanger on back of engine, then water out the exhaust. Copy the temp gun, looking online at amazon (come to love that site for boat supplies).

Thank you for your help!

Scott

My Jurisdiction
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1981 3007 aft cabin

Postby My Jurisdiction » September 11th, 2015, 11:31 am

I noticed impeller chunks in the starboard heat changers temp still fine 160 range. Going to replace both at dry dock this next spring.

JimnJudi
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 350 Mariner

Engine Water Pump - Impeller Replacement

Postby JimnJudi » December 2nd, 2015, 7:59 pm

II had a similar problem with Crusader Model 270's from 1986. Starboard side was 160, port was 180. Added a little antifreeze about once a month. Turned out to be a small leak in the heat exchanger.

Hope you found and were able to fix it earlier this summer.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”