Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Full Camper top maintenance

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Full Camper top maintenance

Postby Seif911 » June 2nd, 2013, 12:36 am

Good Evening All,

I just had my full camper top re-stitched. I also had a window or 2 replaced. I have never actually seen it on the boat. It is pretty dirty right now.

So, what would you clean the top with before I put it on? Should I spray waterproofing stuff on it? The last question, the upholstery guy said there is a conditioning spray/lotion that you can put on the clear vinyl to recondition it and clean it. Has anyone ever heard of this spray and where do you buy it or what is it called?
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

United States of America
CYO Admin
CYO Administrator
CYO Administrator

Re: Full Camper top maintenance

Postby CYO Admin » June 2nd, 2013, 7:30 am

Look at the 303 products for cleaning and protecting the glass and canvas. The make products for cleaning, waterproofing, etc. Great stuff and even recommended by Sunbrella.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » June 2nd, 2013, 10:03 am

Steve

If the Sunbrella is not too old or damaged, a good cleaning generally seals it up pretty good. If it is old or sun damaged, a sealer will have to be used.

Take all the Sunbrella That doesn't have vinyl in it to a laundromat with the very big washers. A bottle of Woolite. Cold water. Wash the pieces, and immediately drive back to your boat and snap it in place while still wet. If you wait too long after washing to snap it all on, you will have a heck of a time doing so because the fabric will shrink.

As for the vinyl, everybody has personal preferences. I use a product called "Plexus". Aircraft owners and motorcycle people use it on their clear plastic. I find it works very well on vinyl. I've heard 303 works well too, but I have no reason to change.

Once the plastic has turned brownish, it's over. You may get it it to last a little longer, but it's over. If it's the original vinyl in the panel, you can probably sew a new piece of vinyl over the old one, and once sewn in, carefully take a razor blade and cut the old one out. That way, the shape of the panel stays the same.

If you need to replace snaps, I would highly recommend spending the money and buy a Press-n-snap tool. Not cheap, about 100 bucks at Prefect Fit, but what a difference from using those cheap snap tools sold at boating stores. Or I could swing down and help you replace them with my snap tool! I just need to know a week ahead of time because the snap tool is at my place in Michigan.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author United States of America
Seif911
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 33'

Postby Seif911 » June 3rd, 2013, 9:54 am

I looked up the plexus products. That looks like some good stuff. I had to roof a house this weekend so...I of course had little time. I know I had some 303 laying around but I could not find it. I just washed the vinyl with soap and water, dried it and then went down and install the top. It was very hard to out on and 1 zipper was reinstalled backwards, but I don't have time to lose it for another 3 weeks for the fix. Maybe in the fall. Here is my top installed.
image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Steve

22' Godfrey Hurricane Fun Deck, Fiberglass hull, 175 HP, Deck boat
24' Chrysler Cruiseliner III (Lonestar), 120 HP, Aluminum Hull, Cabin, 1968
33' Carver Mariner, fiberglass hull, 520 HP, Yacht, 1977

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”