Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

First trip out and overheated… Quick advice needed

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
motoman99
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 370 Voyager

First trip out and overheated… Quick advice needed

Postby motoman99 » December 21st, 2015, 6:34 am

Thank you Viper, I hear you and you're right, could be a much worse depending on the situation but I'm come to realize that tech's down here in the Marina are just incredibly expensive. Despite my Carver being an ocean boat since first sale, it's been maintained really well. Just seems that the last owner had it sitting for a while and that caused a few problems. Risers are only a year old, belts and hoses are great and so on.

Anyway, you guys were right. Pretty simple to dismantle and whilst apart, took it a few levels past necessary and just going through the motor a bit.

More then anything else, thank you deenbob1 for that link, exactly what I was looking for!!!! Going to fill my cart up this morning. Really appreciate that link, thank you!

Thanks for all the help everyone and happy holidays…time to put this girl back together and go for a uneventful spin (fingers crossed). All of my new canvas and curtains just arrived too so going to look great :)

NextPhase
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver Voyager 350

Re: First trip out and overheated… Quick advice needed

Postby NextPhase » May 24th, 2016, 4:18 pm

My guess would be the heat exchanger next, If low water flow.
It could be thermostat stuck closed.

Are you pumping water out the back still, same amount both engines ?? :banghead:

We have the same engines...

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » May 24th, 2016, 4:59 pm

I just noticed you were desmo mechanic!
Awesome.
So what was the outcome of your repairs?
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
jmm48m60
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002, carver 356 aft cabin, Crusader engs, hurth transmissions
BOAT NAME 'TANKRR'

Postby jmm48m60 » June 12th, 2016, 8:36 am

Engine heat problems vary more so if boat in salt water. First, Hopefully the mechanic first check raw water inlet making sure its not clogged, then check the impeller/s...they should be changed every two(2) years for good water flow.. very important. Second, using a HEAT GUN (verifying true temp) make sure your risers aren't clogged...and third yes the thermostat's...hope this helps.https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Aw ... h-mailn_02

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”