Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Maxwell 800 Windlass

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Wayne162
Captain
Captain
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405
"Change In Latitude"
Home port - Charleston, South Carolina

Maxwell 800 Windlass

Postby Wayne162 » March 5th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Okay everyone, I am working on a Maxwell 800 windlass on my 1997 Carver as the motor engaged however the clutches and gears did not. I removed the motor and the lower gearbox case and found the worm gear and ring gear all chewed up. I have been trying most of the day to get the ring gear off of the shaft. However easier said than done. Attached to this message I have added a photograph of the gear from within the boat. Can anyone tell me how to get the gear off of the shaft which will allow me to pull the unit out from the deck. It appears that there is a keyway and possibly a lock ring however it is hard to get at. Anyone with experience in doing this that can help is appreciated. Additionally, if you know where to get Maxwell spare parts I would also like to know where you have found them.
:banghead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Maxwell 800 Windlass

Postby Viper » March 5th, 2016, 9:13 pm

You don't need to open the gearbox to remove it from the shaft. On the end of the shaft which you can see on the bottom of the gearbox without dismantling is a groove with a quick release clip in it. I can see it in your photo. Remove the clip, unscrew the collar/locknut that fastens the deck works to the gearbox, then slide the gearbox and motor off the shaft. There looks to be some corrosion around the mating surfaces so it may require a little pusuasion but it should slide off. Click on this link, it will prompt you to download a PDF of the manual. There you will see a parts breakdown and a couple of pics that might help. Don't worry about the clip looking different than the one in the manual (part 37), they changed the design.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjo7Irh-arLAhVrx4MKHTfUDX4QFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maxwellmarine.com%2Fdownloader.php%3Fi%3D323&usg=AFQjCNENydM_QOsCAebEsL1MAGqABEvM8A&bvm=bv.116274245,d.amc
Last edited by Viper on March 5th, 2016, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » March 5th, 2016, 9:17 pm

Thanks Viper. Do I need a special tool to release the clip. I saw it but there was nothing quick about it. I can't find a way to grab it. Tried to use a straight blade screwdriver but no luck.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 5th, 2016, 9:25 pm

It used to be "Quick" before they changed the design. The old one would widen when you sqeezed the curled ends with your fingers. Now it's just a flat ring. I usually get away with sticking a screwdriver in the keyway and prying the clip off there. Again, if the clip isn't moving, it may be corroded. Tap all around it to free it before prying it off. If you're going to order replacement parts, order a spare clip.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » March 5th, 2016, 9:52 pm

Ok, thank you.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 5th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Let us know how you make out. Unfortunately the Freedom series have been discontinued so I hope the parts you need are still available somewhere. You can still get the strippers and pressure arms which are wearable items so you may want to get a spare or two of each of those as well before they disappear too. I need the complete deck works assembly but last I checked they cost a small fortune if you can still find them. Have been looking for a decent used one.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » March 5th, 2016, 11:13 pm

Will do Viper.

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » March 11th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Well I have succeeded in removing the Maxwell Freedom 800 windlass. After several hours, a large gear puller and the knowledge of a local Capt. it came out and fought to the bitter end. The Capt. also baffled a bit over the snap ring so I didn't feel as bad. It appears that gaskets and seals are available but not the gears. I looked forward to using the old girl as I never had, but merely cleaned up the previous owners non-maintained mess yet once again. Any suggestions on a windlass for the 405? Not looking for the gold standard but a reliable unit that would be an exact fit.

:help:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » March 12th, 2016, 9:42 am

There are a few makes out there.

The Maxwell RC series is pretty much the same unit you have now with a new deck design, may even fit the same footprint.
http://www.maxwellmarine.com/gen_rc.php?dimensions

Take a look at Lewmar too
http://www.lewmar.com/node/12055

Wayne162
Captain
Captain
"Change In Latitude"

Postby Wayne162 » March 12th, 2016, 10:34 am

I was looking at the RC10, got a call into Maxwell for comparability. Don't know much about Lewmar.

:usa:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”