Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Window Leaks - Sliding windows, metal frame

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
USAFRet
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 280 Express
5.7Ltr Penta DuoProp

Window Leaks - Sliding windows, metal frame

Postby USAFRet » July 14th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Hi folks,

I discovered my windows leak while washing the boat this weekend. My wife found the wall fabric in a storage closet wet a few minutes after I was finished. They are narrow, 10ft long by 5' high sliders with metal frames. I'm guessing this was a problem with the previous owners because we found mold on the wall fabric and on some boxes in that closet.

I'll try to get closeup pictures of the tracks this week, but in the interim:

The tracks don't appear to have any silicone sealant around them. They don't look like they have been repaired. They appear to be rotted, but I may be seeing engineered cuts/drains so I don't want to go nuts with sealant until I know.

For permanent repairs - Are there seal kits I can purchase to simply swap out the seals?

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Window Leaks - Sliding windows, metal frame

Postby waybomb » July 14th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Really need to see pix of what you describe.

We've had three Carvers, and all had the same type of windows. A black frame screwed to the side of the hull, with felt type runners. Those runners are replaceable. But first check to see if the frame is draining.

There's a 2-3" long slot through the black frame at the base of the track, and can be seem from the outside of the boat. In between each track is another slot. These slots get built up with crud. A wire and alot of water cleans them out, and then the problem goes away.

If it's leaking through the frame / hull side, simply unscrew all the screws, pry the frame away from the boat, clean out all the old caulk, and apply new caulk. BUT - before you pull the frame away, run masking tape all the way around, about 1/16" away from the frame. Also all around the frame all the way to the edge of the side. This way, when you tighten up the frame against the hull and the caulk squishes out, you simply run your finger all the way around, remove the tape, and you have a perfect looking caulk job.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”