Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Storm July 08, 2016 Georgian Bay

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
Mariah's Song
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin
220 Crusaders
Home Port: Marina Del Rey
Orillia, Ontario

Re: Storm July 08, 2016 Georgian Bay

Postby Mariah's Song » July 13th, 2016, 10:39 am

We were unable to make headway because 80 mph winds were shoving us backwards as well as turning us. I was on the bridge, bridge enclosure was up, screens open with exception of starboard front side. Passengers were down below with exception of one who was with me as another set of eyes. Winds apparently were sustained at 69 knots with higher bursts. To complicate matters, we were hit while running across a narrow channel surrounded by shoals. I was trying to get into the shelter of a nearby island but the winds made that a dream. Keep in mind that the rain was horizontal making visibility nil for the most part. Basically it ended up being a fight to just keep her into the wind and upright. I could see the rock we ended up on, on the chart plotter getting closer by the minute and there was not a damn thing I could do about it.
Wayne Wilkie

Topic author
Mariah's Song
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
220 Crusaders
Orillia, Ontario

Postby Mariah's Song » July 13th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Bridge enclosure was up as it always is. Plastic on port side was up, starboard down. Sides and stern plastic was up. I strongly believe that even if the enclosure was down and everyone was down below, we still would have been in serious trouble.
Two things stand out as being the largest contributors to our being parked on the shoal.
#1, We were operating in a very narrow channel with heavy shoaling all around. Unfortunately, the channel runs 90 degrees to the direction of the wind. Had I attempted to stay on course, we would have been blown over, I'm sure.
#2, We were advised that the storm produced sustained winds of 69 knots, that converts to 80 mph!!! That and zero visibility due to horizontal driving rain made any attempts at navigation virtually impossible.
As far as piloting from below, the storm hit so suddenly that there was no opportunity to get below. In addition, according to those who were down below, visibility was zero.
Mariah's Song was literally tossed about like a toy in a bathtub. Running up on the smooth shoal that we hit in all likelihood, probably saved us and the boat. We hung on for dear life on the back deck while the storm hit us with stinging rain and winds that threatened to knock us off but at least the pounding she took on that smooth rock did minimal damage. Had it been a jagged shoal we might not have fared so well.
In the end, facing 69 knot winds, in a tight channel, there wasn't much I or anyone else for that matter could have done.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 13th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Wow, really something....was anchored once in something like that....after it took us an hour to get the anchor out....If you don't mind me asking , where were you , what channel?? Had a look at your boat there as we are at that marina.....you are right it really came out not bad considering.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 13th, 2016, 11:32 pm

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. Since I have the same boat it is a learning experience for me. As to my boat the bridge enclosure is not up during the summer months but like you said being in a channel with limited navigation opportunities there was not much you could have done. If you had been in more open waters perhaps you could have maintained station.

I hope you get your boat back soon so you can post more adventures, hopefully no more storm stories.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author
Mariah's Song
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
220 Crusaders
Orillia, Ontario

Postby Mariah's Song » July 14th, 2016, 3:14 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Wow, really something....was anchored once in something like that....after it took us an hour to get the anchor out....If you don't mind me asking , where were you , what channel?? Had a look at your boat there as we are at that marina.....you are right it really came out not bad considering.

We were headed for Frying Pan and had just passed c54/c55 when we got hit, attempted to get in behind Quarry Island with no luck. Ended up on a smooth shoal just east of there. As far as the boat goes, ins adjuster was suggesting that there were stringers damaged and if that is the case, along with a strut, 2 drive shafts and 2 props, they would write her off. I hope not because we have put a lot of work and money in to her. Waiting to here the final word.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 14th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Yep, I see now, that is quite the rock garden over there.....lots of very narrow channels with rocks a couple feet off the markers is why lots avoid Georgian bay, you are home safe so that is good.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 14th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Mariah's Song wrote:Source of the post ....ins adjuster was suggesting that there were stringers damaged and if that is the case, along with a strut, 2 drive shafts and 2 props, they would write her off....

Sorry to hear that. Hope it's not the case. Is it definite? Has it been looked at by a surveyor?

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » July 15th, 2016, 3:11 am

Hoping like you that it is repairable.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Topic author
Mariah's Song
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
220 Crusaders
Orillia, Ontario

Postby Mariah's Song » July 15th, 2016, 5:11 pm

Well, the news that I've been dreading arrived. Insurance mafia have declared Mariah's Song a write off. We're going up in the morning to take the rest of our gear out. They gave me a chance to buy her back but there is a question mark on the report due to the pounding she took on the rock. Apparently that may present a problem getting insurance again. Repair estimate comes in at over $17,000. We'll take some time and decide where we go from hear. Going to miss her.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 15th, 2016, 5:41 pm

Shoot. Don't let it get you down. Say your goodbyes and move on to the next one. Easier said than done but put your business face on for now, and start looking for the next one. After a bit of blood sweat and tears, and a personal touch, she'll feel like home too and you can make some new memories with her.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”